Discuss Contactor to switch an oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

J&M Electrical

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is a basic question for most of you, but i haven't had much if any experience with contactors. Basically we have been asked to quote to fit a timer to an industrial oven (63A) so it will switch on at 4am and warm up before the bakery opens so they can get on with baking straight away....Strange i know, but the customer is adamant that its done this way. My thoughts were a simple timeclock, and then a contactor to switch the oven? Am i right or totally wrong? Anybody done anything like this before? Or even have a drawing?

Thanks in advance

If it's a 63 Amp oven you'll need a substantial contactor and an enclosure to house it.

Can't you add the timer to the oven itself and maybe replace the on/off control switch with an ON/OFF/ON cam switch and re-designate it Auto/Manual? This wouldn't require any extra switchgear if it can be done.

If it's a 63 Amp oven you'll need a substantial contactor and an enclosure to house it.

Can't you add the timer to the oven itself and maybe replace the on/off control switch with an ON/OFF/ON cam switch and re-designate it Auto/Manual? This wouldn't require any extra switchgear if it can be done.

I'm not sure about this option although it would be by far the easiest, I had a look at the oven and the only way they seemed able to turn it on was via the rotary isolator on the wall. The only dials on the oven were from temperature adjustment. It's a massive 5 Door 6' x 6' x 6' industrial oven. Never seen an oven as big in my life.

I'm not sure about this option although it would be by far the easiest, I had a look at the oven and the only way they seemed able to turn it on was via the rotary isolator on the wall. The only dials on the oven were from temperature adjustment. It's a massive 5 Door 6' x 6' x 6' industrial oven. Never seen an oven as big in my life.

Yeah, I did say 'if it can be done'. It's possible the thermostatic controllers are also used as the 'off' switch, they may even have separate contacts for the on/off function, you'd need to investigate. There's also the problem of where and how to mount the timer, it all very much depends on the layout of the oven. If it can be done it's a cheap and easy method but it's difficult to say without a make and model number or a few photos of the existing setup.

What I mean is, if the oven is properly installed to ensure that it's safe in normal use, what additional precautions are required to make it safe for use with a timer?

Nothing wrong with adding a timer at all, It's the operation of the oven in a premises that is totally unattended, that's the problem...

I wouldn't have a problem adding a timer as long as it doesn't breach your local regs. The oven will have safety devices built into it but it would be wise to check the regs first.

The oven that you refer to is called a deck oven. Been around them most my working life.

To be fair in most cases they are on for 16hrs a day and are left un attended for most of it.

Reply to Contactor to switch an oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net