Discuss Contactors and Relays (anti vibration ?) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

joel89

-
Reaction score
I have a panel, on our large hammer forge which causes a hell of a lot of vibration hitting a 5tonne tube, anyway I am loosing my retain on 2 x small contactors LC1 18a which feed a servo and lubrication system and when the tube is nearly forged into a bottle neck shape it also causes a small 5a plug in relay feeding some oxy propane burner solenoids, basic dol start stop pb circuit I was wondering if there is anything on the market that will create enough electro magnetism to stop this happening?? or stronger springs on the relays and contactors??

any advice would be great cheers !

You get cam operated relays and contactors, I used them many years ago on a project and they basically use a coil which in turn operates a cam that rotates 180 degrees to actuate the relay/contactor, they're completely impervious to impact. I've also see mechanically latching contactors which require both a control supplyto latch and a supply to unlatch. I'll have to dig around my office PC on Monday to get the details of the ones we used which I think were 30A or maybe 50A.

Andy your showing your age, with mechanical switching...lol...
Solid state, or diac switching quite common in plant control, and can handle some high loads, but they dont have a long life span. Last one I worked on was a feature swimming pool, were pumps were timed and controlled from diac`s

Also, depending on the severity of the problem you could try re orientating the contactor/relays that are giving problems, sometimes turning them through 90 degrees so the shock force is perpendicular to the relay or contactor armature might stop contact bounce under shock vibrations.

Late 90`s they have become more common, to protect sensitive electronics. The more we use microprocessors the more protection they need. Back emf from relays and a unstable voltage etc can do some expensive damage, so designs are turning more to ss

Cheers for the replies, I am using 18a contractors I am switching a 1.5kw at 415v motor and a 0.37kw at 415v motor. 110v ac control voltage, moving the panel is too much work 95mm feeder 110kw motor and loads of external outgoing cables !

Cheers for the replies, I am using 18a contractors I am switching a 1.5kw at 415v motor and a 0.37kw at 415v motor. 110v ac control voltage, moving the panel is too much work 95mm feeder 110kw motor and loads of external outgoing cables !

Use VSD's mounted on anti vibration mounts, no moving parts and more protection and control afforded.

It was a solution for your situe' ... not saying its speed control was needed etc, if you fit some form of SSR device its will still need semi conductor protection to boot and the cost start mounting.... plus you need to shop around a bit £350 for a 1.5kw is not a good deal... Ive just fitted a 1.5kw 1ph-3ph (output protected) £250 quid ..... note I put output protected because their is a range of budget drives out there that have dropped output protection without really telling you and giving what seems a deal and a half.

Reply to Contactors and Relays (anti vibration ?) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock