Discuss Containment on the underground in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm working on the underground and as you might know they are very fussy been doing "crinkle sets " to curve round an arch as they won't let you cut a v in the tray it must Be bent out to make it curve rather than cutting does anyone know of a tool that makes this easier or the best method , thanks

Do you not just purchase the bends?

Bang some tray up across the track. tube train hits tray... bend made for you.

But why not just get the bends.... (No funny comments)
Inside Riser
upload_2017-12-4_14-17-47.png

Or and Outside Riser, depending on what you want.

There’s a video on the learning lounge on YouTube on how to make a tool that will create that bend. Clever how it does it. Will post a link if I find it, you may need to fast forward!
It’s part of a 50 minute odd video but I can’t find it at the mo, only short bits on you tube.

Last edited:
Would bending tray compromise its strength?

On a side note. In certain sectors (heavy industrial/marine) I've previously witnessed all tray and ladder sets being completed by a dedicated electrical welder-boilermaker.

i spent a large portion of a day making my own bends when i was at the macallans site, only to be told the company insists on using pre-fab tray bends, i was taught to make my own bends to save materials as ive only been with relatively small companies, there was around 8000 metres of tray/trunking/basket per shed, so you can imagine how many bends i made for myself!!!

Bit late for a reply, but might help someone. To make 'crinkle' sets by hand you just need a hammer, adjustable spanner and a big screwdriver. Hammer the sides of the tray flat where you want to bend it, wind down your spanner so it just fits over there edge of the tray and then twist the spanner using your big screwdriver (most adjustable spanners have a hole in the other end that you can put the screwdriver through to held twist it). If you do this on each side of the tray in the same place, moving along the edge as you go and twisting in opposite directions each time, eventually it will start to bend. Looks really nice when its down and saves a fortune on internal bends.

Reply to Containment on the underground in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net