Discuss Continuity Issues on Meggers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Englishman

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
1720s across the company have developed ****loads of continuity issues over the last couple of years, mine (6-8 months old) has started recently, continuity jumping all over the place etc.

Now, mine was functioning perfectly on a job a couple of days ago, in a sheltered place which was like a furnace, which has got me wondering whether or not it's possibly due to the cold and being in the van all night....

Anyone had issues with their functionality in cold weather?

I would always keep mine indoors especially at this time of the year. Any time my continuity readings go hay wire it's always been the leads as they loosen in the sockets after a bit of use.

my 1553 is a bitch on continuity when cold. done readings on a rfc today. r1 1.7, rn 2.8, r2 1.4. after settling down i got sensible readings.

Our QS was saying that de to the design of having the leads on the back, it causes issues pulling the crappy megger ones in and out. I got some Kewtech ones as soon as the issues started but they remained.

It was only after working in the furnace that I twigged there could be a link.

I generally work in voids so they never really warn up properly during the winter.

Hi,

I have the same issue with my MFT1730, I think the leads definitley have an effect, the contacts can become worn. I might try buying new ones.

I had been meaning to get some of the kewtech leads for ages beforehand but never bothered, once it started playing up, I did and it made no difference. Apparently an issue is caused on the circuit board inside, god knows.

Apparently tightening all the screws on the bottom and in the battery compartment helps as well..

I spoke to Megger about leads and they consider that they should be replaced evry year or two depending upon usage. Whe one of my MFTs was calibrated by them it came back with a new set of leads included which I thought was thoughtful. I never leave test equipment in the van overnight at this time of year.

Just drop a silica gel pack in the meter case to absorb any moisture. Leaving any meter in van overnight is just asking for trouble.

Replace the silica gel every so often, it can only absorb so much.

I am currently doing my 2395 and a couple of weeks back the lecturer proudly unwrapped 2 brand new 1730s for us to use on the practice rigs. Half the session was absorbed with nulling leads, re-nulling, watching the same set of leads and tester measure anything between 80 ohms and 0.2 ohms for the same circuit, readings jumping all over the place !

I put it down to the leads too as they were stiff as hell to push together and didn't seem to make proper connection. First and last time I have used a megger MFT. Appalling for a supposed top of the range model from a quality brand.

I love the megger separates that the college has possession of though.

Just drop a silica gel pack in the meter case to absorb any moisture. Leaving any meter in van overnight is just asking for trouble.

Replace the silica gel every so often, it can only absorb so much.
get a few of the metal ones, when there ready to replace chuck them in a draw.

when you get a couple chuck them in the oven and then there ready to be reused

Mines the same. I dont leave my meggar in the truck over night. Empty all tools out. Mine wasnt too bad for keeping continuous results. I sent it for calibration, think they rushed it through, now its ****e. Got brand new leads, makes no difference.

I live in a very quiet and lovely area, the sort of people who are on the rob near me are certainly not looking for vans, and it's all company owned anyway so I leave everything in there. But the megger will start coming inside, if only for my sanity when doing r1r2 and r2 than anything else, it's a ****in nightmare at the moment.

My usual van (got a hire one at moment) has dead locks on side and back doors so they're always locked, but other than hand tools and my radio, it's all company owned so all covered on their insurance. Plus, I have a very inquisitive 14 month old so doesn't make sense bring stuff in every night.

Reply to Continuity Issues on Meggers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock