Discuss Continuity Testing Help please ! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeWindsor

Hi guys, I have recently bought a Fluke 1652C and I am trying to work out how to carry out testing (course coming up soon) however I am a bit stuck with a continuity test I wanted to do on a ring circuit and would appreciate some help !

I was lucky enough to have an empty flat so carried out safe isolation, polarity of incoming feed, then ZE and PFC, however when I tried to do the continuity test in the consumer unit all the earths are connected on one main bar with no numbering on at all. There were about 20 earth connections and in the end I gave up !

Is there some magic way to work out which CPC's belong on which circuit ?

Thank you

Mike

PS All the wiring comes out of the wall behind the CU and it is impossible to see them !

if you can't physically see the cpc's coming out the T/E at the CU, all you can do is dis all the cpc's, bonding and main E, then link L and E at end of circuit, and ohm meter to find which is which. on RFCs, fins which cpc's are s/c to each other first. that will eliminate a few.

Thanks telectrix, I didn't think of joining the L & E together at the other end of the circuit, at least that way I can stay at the CU to carry out the OHMS testing. I guess I could use my "magic plug" as described by the Part P Doctor and put a link between L & E on that with one of my test leads from the Fluke. I suppose the other way would be to undo a socket and connect the L & E using may be a WAGO ? Unless I am missing an easier way ?
Thanks again Mike

you can use your breakout box and a link, but bear in mind that you will measure the R1+R2 + any resistance in the breakout and link. be sure to safely isolate and lock off the CU first, though.

Cool, back to the flat for more fun and games !
Thanks telectrix, all the best Mike

And dont forget you are trying to find 2 CPC's when you have disconnected them all and carrying out Tels method.

If you have the course planned, then this will be good experience for you. for some reason it is ring continuity testing that seems to get most people tied up in knots.

Once you have identified your conductors, try to test the ring as per GN3, and if you dont fully understand it , then shout up and ask, it is really easy once you know how.

Cheers.....................Howard

Hi guys, I have recently bought a Fluke 1652C and I am trying to work out how to carry out testing (course coming up soon) however I am a bit stuck with a continuity test I wanted to do on a ring circuit and would appreciate some help !

I was lucky enough to have an empty flat so carried out safe isolation, polarity of incoming feed, then ZE and PFC, however when I tried to do the continuity test in the consumer unit all the earths are connected on one main bar with no numbering on at all. There were about 20 earth connections and in the end I gave up !

Is there some magic way to work out which CPC's belong on which circuit ?

Thank you

Mike

PS All the wiring comes out of the wall behind the CU and it is impossible to see them !
Three words: patience, logic & tenacity

If I'm testing ring continuity for an EICR, I'll sometimes break the ring at a socket and test there. Then I only have two CPCs to deal with.

Always good on those old 3036 boards where you cant work out what goes where and you dont want to start meddling incase something breaks!

Always good on those old 3036 boards where you cant work out what goes where and you dont want to start meddling incase something breaks!

Or a stray wire makes its way over to the incoming line terminal which has lost its little push-on cover.

This is exactly the thinking needed for the 2395 exam and periodic insp and test in real life. It says somewhere in GN3 that consideration must be given to unnecessary dismantling or words to that effect, just for the reason you mention.

Its worth remembering.

Cheers...........Howard

linking the live and cpc for the r1r2 tests this is where the lever wago's come into their own

Reply to Continuity Testing Help please ! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net