Discuss Contractor jailed................. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Banging an electrician up for falsely purporting himself to be a member of SELECT and NICEIC and a SBS approved certifier is one thing, but at least he's an electrician. The rogue installers who leve behind unsafe installations in their wake are the ones who should be incarcerated.

If his works were safe and conformed to BS7671 i feel its a great shame that he felt the need to pretend to belong to scheme(scam). Just proves the lengths we have to go to in order to carry out the work we took 4 years learning. I hope it shows the stupidity of the scheme's and the unnecessary lengths we have to go to in order to earn some money.

If his works were safe and conformed to BS7671 i feel its a great shame that he felt the need to pretend to belong to scheme(scam). Just proves the lengths we have to go to in order to carry out the work we took 4 years learning. I hope it shows the stupidity of the scheme's and the unnecessary lengths we have to go to in order to earn some money.

An electrician operating anywhere in Scotland doesn't need to be a member of a scheme. Indeed, up here anyone can call themselves an electrician and carry-out electrical installation work. Alas, there are plenty of unqualified people who do just that. Some of the rogue domestic installations up here would make your hair stand on end if you were to ever see any of them.

SELECT have been trying for years to persuade the Scottish Government that Scottish electricians should have protection of title and be accorded professional status as are doctors, dentists, vets, lawyers and even estate agents. But no, Sturgeon and her motley crew just aren't interested.

Although I think sending a spark to jail for falsely representing himself as a member of SELECT and NICEIC as well as falsely claiming to be an approved certifier is a rather harsh sentence, I am, however, totally opposed to such deception. The spark who did this is essentially an unregistered electrician pretending to be a registered electrician. That's the top and bottom of it.

As a SELECT member myself, I feel it is grossly unfair that I have to compete against such charlatans when I pay my annual subscription and they dont. I'm all for competition, but only when the playing-field is level and we're all playing the game by the same rules. The unregistered electrician who falsely represents himself to be a registered electrician gains an unfair commercial advantage over honest competitors. Such sharp practices are commonplace in the greater Glasgow area, believe me.

Indeed, I've lost count of the number of EICR jobs that have been posted on My Builder wherein the poster has stipulated that the contractor must be a member of either SELECT or NICEIC only for the usual plethora of fresh-faced twentysomething electricians to nevertheless declare an interest in the job even though almost all of them don't have sufficient experience to be inspecting and testing electrical installations in the first place and while some of them don't even have a qualification in inspection and testing.

In my humble opinion, a radical overhaul of how electricians operate in the UK is long overdue. My own preference would be a nationwide scheme that requires each and every electrician to be registered. Only those who have undergone approved training and/or served a recognised apprenticeship, and who possess adequate, up to date qualifications would be accepted. Every electrician on the database would then be licensed along the same lines of the Australian model. I can think of no other way to end the farcial and sorry state of our industry.

An electrician operating anywhere in Scotland doesn't need to be a member of a scheme. Indeed, up here anyone can call themselves an electrician and carry-out electrical installation work. Alas, there are plenty of unqualified people who do just that. Some of the rogue domestic installations up here would make your hair stand on end if you were to ever see any of them.

SELECT have been trying for years to persuade the Scottish Government that Scottish electricians should have protection of title and be accorded professional status as are doctors, dentists, vets, lawyers and even estate agents. But no, Sturgeon and her motley crew just aren't interested.

Although I think sending a spark to jail for falsely representing himself as a member of SELECT and NICEIC as well as falsely claiming to be an approved certifier is a rather harsh sentence, I am, however, totally opposed to such deception. The spark who did this is essentially an unregistered electrician pretending to be a registered electrician. That's the top and bottom of it.

As a SELECT member myself, I feel it is grossly unfair that I have to compete against such charlatans when I pay my annual subscription and they dont. I'm all for competition, but only when the playing-field is level and we're all playing the game by the same rules. The unregistered electrician who falsely represents himself to be a registered electrician gains an unfair commercial advantage over honest competitors. Such sharp practices are commonplace in the greater Glasgow area, believe me.

Indeed, I've lost count of the number of EICR jobs that have been posted on My Builder wherein the poster has stipulated that the contractor must be a member of either SELECT or NICEIC only for the usual plethora of fresh-faced twentysomething electricians to nevertheless declare an interest in the job even though almost all of them don't have sufficient experience to be inspecting and testing electrical installations in the first place and while some of them don't even have a qualification in inspection and testing.

In my humble opinion, a radical overhaul of how electricians operate in the UK is long overdue. My own preference would be a nationwide scheme that requires each and every electrician to be registered. Only those who have undergone approved training and/or served a recognised apprenticeship, and who possess adequate, up to date qualifications would be accepted. Every electrician on the database would then be licensed along the same lines of the Australian model. I can think of no other way to end the farcial and sorry state of our industry.

Yet people still go with the scams given all the confussion with certain building regulations.

Shame they are not so diligent when it comes to vulnerable people being groomed.
"Morning sir, I'm from trading standards, I hear your barbers shop has been performing substandard haircuts and beard trims to the homeless and elderly, we all have a right to our own standard of personal grooming".... or have trading standards increased their remit now?

Reply to Contractor jailed................. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net