Discuss Conversion of 3 ph. to single phase lesson in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So what did you do when you come across this
To be honest I am sufficiently flabbergasted at the moment I really do not know. However...the plan is to remove all of it and start over and rewire the whole property so it will be gone before too long. I don't quite know what to say about it. What is your view?

As a matter of interest, the larger of the meters feeding the little isolator leads on to a two way steeple box with a 32a MK MCB for the lighting (don't worry they used 1.5mm T&E!) and an Eaton 45a MCB for the ring circuit again wired in 2.5mm T&E for the offices in the building. This is an ex bank converted to offices and residential.

Don't see the problem I have supplied a triple-pole board the same way as I didn't have a linking kit.

Don't see the problem
Well I certainly can't think of any regs to say that is not kosher although it would need thinking through if it were to stay, but it is going so no big deal. An EICR put a load of C2 for lack of RCD protection so it is an old Memshield2 type B DB so I put five Eaton MR30 RCD modules as a temporary answer to no RCD however they are around £110 each, ouch! for the Landlord anyway.

Rather than move house we had our house adapted for my disabled wife. The electrician who did the wiring used our home for his annual inspection with NICEIC. My office is only a few metres away from the consumer units. I overheard the inspector remark that there is a tightening up on the requirement to adequately secure cables such as meter tails, especially ones which can 'flap in the breeze' as vortigen's image shows. The worry being that repeated movement of the cables - as might be the case under our stairs as the hoover is put in and taken out - will loosen the connections. Hearsay but others might confirm. I don't know the regulation number.

I overheard the inspector remark that there is a tightening up on the requirement to adequately secure cables such as meter tails, especially ones which can 'flap in the breeze' as vortigen's image shows... I don't know the regulation number.
Agree - this has never been ok in my humble opinion. Regs that come to mind are 134.1.1 (good workmanship by skilled persons using proper materials), 522.8.4 (adequate cable support for own weight) and 522.8.5 (adequate cable support so no mechanical strain on terminations). This last one 522.8.5 has a note added in the 18th to spell out that CU tails are included here, probably what sparked (!) the discussion :) .

Last edited:

Reply to Conversion of 3 ph. to single phase lesson in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net