Discuss Convert light-operated extractor fan to separate switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hasti

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a general handyman, and I have a customer with a basic ceiling extractor fan in their bathroom. It is connected to the ceiling light and comes on and off with the light switch.
They now want the option of switching it off (while the light is on).
Is there a way I can incorporate a pull switch (or a wireless remote?) to switch it on and off? It only needs to be on or off when the light is on, so there is no need to rig up a completely new control.
Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum, for quicker response I have approved for general forum, when admin' is next on line you may be given DIY access and the thread relocated there, this won't effect any existing posts.

Be better if they could switch it on regardless of whether the light is on maybe. I often use the fan when the light is off, ie. having a shower when it's daylight, so no lights needed. Just a thought. Daz

Thanks for the reply, but I was wondering if I could add a switch of some sort to the existing fan, rather than start from scratch with a new pull-cord one.
However, maybe you have a point... Would it be much of a job to switch a standard fan with a pull-cord one?

Reply to Convert light-operated extractor fan to separate switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock