Discuss Convert power switch to outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. I have a extractor fan in my kitchen that I never use as well as a outside light for the garden which is rarely used. I'm wondering if the switches that power these could be converted into a wall outlet instead as that would be much more useful.

I know it's possible but i'm wondering how invasive and costly it would be. The kitchen is newly decorated so I don't want walls being ripped open etc. It's only something i'd want doing if it was relatively easy and not to destructive.

I've included a picture for better detail.

Thanks for any advice

Convert power switch to outlet 20180303_142903 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi. I have a extractor fan in my kitchen that I never use as well as a outside light for the garden which is rarely used. I'm wondering if the switches that power these could be converted into a wall outlet instead as that would be much more useful.

I know it's possible but i'm wondering how invasive and costly it would be. The kitchen is newly decorated so I don't want walls being ripped open etc. It's only something i'd want doing if it was relatively easy and not to destructive.

Thanks for any advice

View attachment 41141
It just depends on what circuit it comes from,if its on the lighting circuit and it has a neutral connection and a sound earth you may fit a 5 amp socket only for light use. If it's on a socket circuit you should be able to fit a 13 amp socket to the feed side at little cost.Make sure the circuit is tested properly and is adequate for the load.

OP, as it has been said, lots of differnt things will be the decisive answer, wiring size, how it's wired etc, it's not something a non electrical person should be attempting, the best advice I can give you, is the old stated reply, "you need an Electrician to advise you" personally I wont give advice except what I have said, do yourself and your family a favour and get professional advice, please.

Oh I would never attempt anything like that myself. I just wanted to know if A- it would be possible and B- how invasive it would be, i.e would it involve hacking into the wall etc. It's only so I can have the tv where I want it without having to drag and extension lead over the kitchen which is what I currently have to do. Looks pretty unsightly.

I don't know what type of wires it has or what it's connected up to. I don't know the first thing about this stuff. I'll ask a local electrician to see what he thinks.

There used to be an outlet socket in that area but the house was rewired about 7 years ago and they removed it. Very annoying.

Thanks for any advice

View attachment 41141
Oh, by the way I salute you for supporting what was unquestionably the best video format - superior to VHS in every respect.

Changing light switches for sockets isn't usually a good idea:
Chances are it's on the lighting circuit so if you try to use any high current appliances like a vacuum cleaner you'll trip out the lights.
You might be gaining a socket but you'll be losing a light elsewhere or an extractor which were presumably put there for a reason. Repurposing the boxes with then mean you have an outside light and/or extractor which then no longer work, effectively broken.
Light switches often have shallower backboxes so it could involve cutting the box deeper anyway. In either case it'll be at switch height, not socket height, so it'll look like what it is - an afterthought.

Electrical alterations really need to be done before you decorate.

OP, youneed someone to assess what can and can't be done.post your loc. and 1 of us maybe close.

I was assuming this was put in as part of a new build, so then is it reasonable/allowable to remove it?

Yes, once you own the house there’s nothing to really stop you changing whatever you like as you are doing it on your own property.
However you may regret it down the line when your warranty is void or a lot of condensation starts appearing etc

Reply to Convert power switch to outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock