Discuss Converting Floor Lamp Halogen to LED - Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Could someone please be able to give me some advice and electrical theory about converting a light from halogen to LED. The current circuit has 5 20W halogen bulbs running off a dimmer:

Buy Bella 5 Light Floor Lamp from the Next UK online shop - http://www.next.co.uk/g503008s1

I have read up on dimming LED's and considering the lights purpose I intend on just changing to just on/off.

I intend on using some existing COB LED's I have, which are 3W(something I bought before properly understanding LED dimming requirement). They are actually dimmable but thats not important.

Could someone please tell me what LED driver I need to run 5x 3W LED's ? The thing I dont understand is calculating the sum current draw.

I do know that the driver should be running at 80% capacity.

Also does anyone recommend a good website/youtube video for understand how to calculate electrical requirements for an LED circuit ?

Thanks for your help.

Jack

Converting Floor Lamp Halogen to LED - Advice {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

G4 bulbs are 12V. just ditch the dimmer and bung the LEDs in

If you wire them in parallel (The fitting will already be wired this way), current draw will be approximately 5x(3/12)= 1.25A. I would ditch the dimmer and fit a 12V DC LED driver able to supply that. Get one which can drive 5A and that should cover you.

But..do check your digital radios nearby - you might wipe out reception (just saying. These teeny LEDS without room for RF suppression and without any CE marking or test compliance are often let's say, lacking in this regard. )

Re dimming, the spec on those lamps is confusing. They say 12-30V AC/DC With a spec like that I'd expect them to contain a simple bridge rectifier and SMPS driver to supply the LED drive current. I find it hard to believe these would dim in any nice way since that requires a dimming method, and none is specified.
"RAW" LED's are dimmable with a DC variable current source driver, and "12V LEDS" contain internal drivers which can respond to an external PWM "dimmed" drive voltage. These seem to be specified in no way at all, whilst claiming to operate off a wide range of both AC or DC. That doesn't wash, and I suspect not actually dimmable, though if the manufacturer can enlighten us I'd be interested to know.

If your lamp contains glass covers for the halogens, don't fit them. Even if the LED's do fit inside they will definitely overheat if you fit the covers.

Reply to Converting Floor Lamp Halogen to LED - Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock