Discuss Converting Halogen to LED Floodlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Geordie Spark

I have four 500W Halogen floods wired in pairs each pair controlled by a PIR.

I am thinking that I could save some money on the leccy bill by converting these Halogens lamps to LED and have seen LED replacement lamps on the tinterweb which are something like 20W and are supposed to be direct replacements for the 500W Halogens.

Is there anybody out there who has any experience / knowledge of these things - good, bad or indifferent??

Thanking you in anticipation ...... :)

SV002177-1-itshotsale77.jpg

I don't know about led replacement lamps, but:

To get an equivalent light out out to 500W halogen from a purpose made LED floodlight you'll need 40/50 watts of LED, so logically a LED replacement lamp in a fitting designed for a 500W halogen lamp will need to be at least that size if not greater.

But, do you really need that much light output? Would a slightly lower light output be that noticeable?

The 10 watt led floods are prity good for domestic and plenty bright enough the 30 watt ones are realy bright you can use them over a loading bay door on a small industrial unit the 10 watt ones are only about £15

I don't know about led replacement lamps, but:

To get an equivalent light out out to 500W halogen from a purpose made LED floodlight you'll need 40/50 watts of LED, so logically a LED replacement lamp in a fitting designed for a 500W halogen lamp will need to be at least that size if not greater.

But, do you really need that much light output? Would a slightly lower light output be that noticeable?

Well I was thinking about that 20W LED replacement into the two existing Halogen units and if it isn't enough just adding another unit in between the two existing ones. That's 3x20W units instead of the two existing 500W units.

The 30W units are pretty good for swapping for 500s if you want to change the whole fitting, have a look at one first though they seem to all come pre flexed and some of the connections are sealed up, flex tends to be about a foot long and good for naff all.

The 10 watt led floods are prity good for domestic and plenty bright enough the 30 watt ones are realy bright you can use them over a loading bay door on a small industrial unit the 10 watt ones are only about £15

Yes, I fitted one of those to the back of my builder mate's house in September last year just before I fell sick so haven't been back to see how it performs on a dark night. Hopefully in a week or to I'll be well enough to go and find out.

The 30W units are pretty good for swapping for 500s if you want to change the whole fitting, have a look at one first though they seem to all come pre flexed and some of the connections are sealed up, flex tends to be about a foot long and good for naff all.

Easy enough to extend tails with a bit of twisting the ends together & wrapping with Gaffer Tape. ;)

rolls about on floor after reading last 2 posts. seriously, best approach is replace the complete units with 30watt LEDs. and a small wiska box to connect the flex to existing cable at each fitting. my rule of thumb is a factor of 10, so 30watt LED = 300watt halogen ( in light output).

It's also interesting to see that the advangages of using LED to save money are rapidly disappearing....was in the wholesalers the other day and someone came in for an 80W chip LED floodlight, just for a garage door. GLS would have been much cheaper to both buy and run!!

Reply to Converting Halogen to LED Floodlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net