Discuss Cooker and Hob Coming off same 40a circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sl1210

Hi guys,

Went to fit a new oven for a friend of mine where the old one was connected to a cooker connection unit which also supplied to induction electric hob. This is fed by a cooker switch in 6mm on a 40a mcb.

Now the oven is supplied with a kettle lead and says its 1.5mm on the cable, i don't feel comfortable leaving this on a 40a circuit as the cable surely isn't capable of taking 40amps in fault conditions. Now normally i would have just wired the cooker in 6mm t+e but as its a kettle connection this isn't an option.

Even then theres a chance the breaker would overload anyway with everything on as the hob is 32a on full load and the new oven is 13a. Although i don't think this was a problem before.

I never had any materials on me to finish the job on saturday, but all i can think to do when i go back is come of the connection unit with a 13a spur to supply the oven.

Is this the best option??

Cheers

I have temporarily connected the oven to a connection unit supplied by a 13a switch spur, which was supplying the washing machine. But advised him that using the washing machine and oven at the same time will blow the cartridge fuse. So use one or the other ;0))

Zs will verefy disconnection times....
the cable that feeds the cooker will be adequate for the job (it came with it)....so..
the cable is enough for the current demand....dont confuse demand with fault (disconnection times)...

yes the hob is still running so the 40a mcb will have to stay. could i come off the cooker outlet with 2.5mm twin and earth to the spur for simplicity. As the load would be protected by a 13a fuse???

agree with glen, I would just add a 2.5 to the connection plate and connect to a spur as well, or a single socket if the oven is under 3kw

can't come off the ring as the sockets are high level behind a splashback. all the sockets low level are for the appliances and fed from fcu's in the cupboard

Reply to Cooker and Hob Coming off same 40a circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net