Discuss cooker and rcd! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawk

Had a look at a job where the cooker, protected by 100mA rcd, trips intermittently. Sometimes it can go for weeks without any problem.
The cooker is only 2 years old. I have carried out an insulation resistance test on all the cables which was >999 and also a ramp test of the rcd which trips at 85mA. Pulled the cooker out and checked all the connections which are fine. What I did discover was a brown coloured like grease behind the cooker on the wall and on the cooker connection plate which I would assume is from moisture.
Anyone any ideas as all I can think of is moisture which is causing it to trip.

When in use. Customer said she had the oven on with the dinner in and after about 20mins it tripped and wouldn't reset until after a few attempts

maybe can be a faulty plate ...
look well if them have any mini crack and the rcd tripping only when the costumer put a wet pot on it.

It is just an idea :)

Had a look at a job where the cooker, protected by 100mA rcd, trips intermittently. Sometimes it can go for weeks without any problem.
The cooker is only 2 years old. I have carried out an insulation resistance test on all the cables which was >999 and also a ramp test of the rcd which trips at 85mA. Pulled the cooker out and checked all the connections which are fine. What I did discover was a brown coloured like grease behind the cooker on the wall and on the cooker connection plate which I would assume is from moisture.
Anyone any ideas as all I can think of is moisture which is causing it to trip.
If you have a clamp meter, you could try clamping it, to see what earth leakage you get, trying each plate/element in turn and then altogether. Brown coloured grease, could be the remains of the last chip dinner. Insulation resistance decreases as temperature rises.

^^ As per Midwest, clamp the supply L+N together in an E/L clamp meter, run each element in turn for a few minutes or until red hot and watch for any that change significantly in IR value.

Black iron heating elements absorbe moisture from the atmosphere, which can cause earth leakage until the moisture is dissipated by the heat.
New cookers and those unused for any length of time are prone to this.
However, that doesn't preclude there being a fault in an element.
Often faults can be identified simply by looking for bright spots on the element when it is in use.

I've had ovens trip the RCD in the past when customer has cooked there bacon literally 15mm from the element. Said they liked it crispy! I surmised that the high water content in supermarket bacon was forced out as steam too quickly and got into a damaged part of the element. Had similiar with customer deciding to steam clean a microwave by putting a bowl of water on high for 10 mins..

Simple job to clamp it and go through each element one at a time to see if anything shows up.

IR test the entire installation as well, it may be the case that a N-E fault somewhere else on the installation is to blame and only causes tripping when a large load is running. Most likely cause is elements though ,which can be clear when cold but low when hot.
I had a similar issue Tuesday, cooker around 5 megs cold,but after heating for 20 mins or so oven element dropped to 0.02 megs.

Reply to cooker and rcd! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock