Discuss Cooker Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a call from a fellow sparky on the way home tonight. He has wired in a new cooker circuit to power a new range master cooker. 10mm radial circuit back to board via an isolator. Board is a BG split load board with 2 x RCDs for each side. Cooker circuit on a 32amp MCB. When the circuit was powered up and turned on the split load RCD trips for the side that the MCB is on. The circuit was tested out and all seems ok...

Anyway he has called me up to go take a look in the morning. I want to go fully armed tomorrow with any possible thoughts so I can bang it out.

I am thinking maybe the neutral is on the wrong side of the board?

Can anyone else think of any other potential faults to make the rcd trip?

Any thoughts are welcome

What happens when the isolator for said cooker is switched off?

Has the connection to the cooker been checked for correct polarity?

Why is "he" going back?

What happens when the isolator for said cooker is switched off?

Has the connection to the cooker been checked for correct polarity?

Why is "he" going back?

They were my questions too. He said With the Isolator off, Nothing trips and power up to Isolator is fine. As soon as isolator is switched on; with the cooker controls set to off, the RCD trips.

"he" is not going back as apparantly he cannot fit it in tomorrow, hence why he has called me up :(

They were my questions too. He said With the Isolator off, Nothing trips and power up to Isolator is fine. As soon as isolator is switched on; with the cooker controls set to off, the RCD trips.

"he" is not going back as apparently he cannot fit it in tomorrow, hence why he has called me up :(

me thinks you know where to start

Just read online that some range masters require a 100ma RCD as opposed to 30ma RCD. I'm not convinced there is any mileage in this as the cooker hasn't even been turned on as such

Just read online that some range masters require a 100ma RCD as opposed to 30ma RCD. I'm not convinced there is any mileage in this as the cooker hasn't even been turned on as such

hum... not sure about that.

But do take your clamp meter so you can see if its accumulated leakage popping the RCD

Check the terminations at the Load side of the Iso, then the terminations at the cooker. Disconnect and IR test in between, if all is clear and you cant see anything wrong,,, internal cooker fault.

Check the terminations at the Load side of the Iso, then the terminations at the cooker. Disconnect and IR test in between, if all is clear and you cant see anything wrong,,, internal cooker fault.

Thanks Paul, that was very useful and helpful of you. He has just sent me a photo of the board and the neutral for the cooker circuit is not connected to the same side of the bus bar as to what the RCD is... my money is on this... would you agree

seems like you got a simple fix then. make sure you charge the muppet.

Fellow sparky my foot.! Disconect cooker from outlet then ir test. Good chance its cooker, but thats on assumpion all wiring is cosha. But YOU wont know until you get there!

Are you saying that the cooker circuit is on the RCD side of the board, or that it isn't but still the RCD trips?

The cookers in on the RCD side of the board but from what I can see, the neutral is on the incoming neutral buss bar; I.e not on the neutral bus bar that is linked to the split RCD

The cookers in on the RCD side of the board but from what I can see, the neutral is on the incoming neutral buss bar; I.e not on the neutral bus bar that is linked to the split RCD

I thought your "mate" who evidently doesn't know what he's doing, told you over the phone. How can you "see" where the neutral is?

Reply to Cooker Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net