Discuss Cooker circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rappid

-
Reaction score
Changing a CU plus many other jobs for a customer.
Testing the circuits before the CU change and found the oven connected to the cooker circuit in a JB behind a base unit, the JB screwed to the wall and only accessible by removing the base unit as there is no access from inside the base unit, there is no cooker switch to provide isolation. I only found it by sticking my inspection camera up behind the base unit
Do I put NV on the certificate or do I have to start ripping the units apart to get the junction box?
I know the customer won't pay to get a switch put in as they have cancelled some of the work due to lack of money.

Thanks

Don't start the bloody cooker isolation switch debate again! :) Daz

No local isolation though. Oh Christ, the debate is going again and I'm getting drawn in. Help !!!!! Daz

Well, can't you pull the cooker out and do a Zs on the cooker connections?
Will have a look tomorrow and see if the connections are accessible, don't really like taking working appliances apart cos if something goes wrong wether we touched it or not, we are always to blame.

Pleaase.
Local isolation is NOT mandatory. If the circuit breaker is accessible,and can be locked off, then that can be the isolator.
It is always useful to have local isolation, but not necessary in most/many domestic situations.
Usual caveats apply - manufacturers installation instructions.

The JB behind a kitchen unit does not comply as it cannot be accessed. That'd be a C3 in my view on a EICR.

Changing a CU plus many other jobs for a customer.
Testing the circuits before the CU change and found the oven connected to the cooker circuit in a JB behind a base unit, the JB screwed to the wall and only accessible by removing the base unit as there is no access from inside the base unit, there is no cooker switch to provide isolation. I only found it by sticking my inspection camera up behind the base unit
Do I put NV on the certificate or do I have to start ripping the units apart to get the junction box?
I know the customer won't pay to get a switch put in as they have cancelled some of the work due to lack of money.

Thanks
whats the A rating of OPD on the cooker circuit?
that joint box may be 30A...there again it may be a 20A so....
use the wander lead to verify R2 is present and continuous....R2 is between furthest points so you should get a positive at a screwhead on the cooker....
if it aint there....fail it....

Reply to Cooker circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net