Discuss Cooker Control/Isolation Switch is NOT required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

Found this on the ESC 17th Ed Guidance site.

Q35. Is a cooker switch or cooker control unit required to be provided as means of emergency switching for an electric cooker?

Generally, cooker switches and cooker control units are provided as a local means of isolation and switching off for mechanical maintenance.

In most cases, the controls incorporated in a cooker can be used to remove the source of heat if danger arises.

However, a cooker switch or cooker control unit may also be provided as a means of emergency switching if the designer of the electrical installation decides that it is necessary, in which case it must be located so as to be readily accessible.

The reason I ask is because when I came to fit a new CU last week, the free standing cooker was plugged into a socket behind it on it's own circuit!! I'd normally have asked 'Where's the isolator' but see Q35 and answer above!
Comments?

Pete

If it comes with a fitted plugtop, then it can be plugged in just like any other appliance. If it doesn't and it needs its own circuit, then it may or may not require an isolator switch, but it is always good practice to fit one, as then as you say it can be isolated for maintenance, cleaning or whatever without causing any interference with the rest of the installation, and they are really handy when you have a 3 year old grandson who likes lights, knobs and switches to play with in the kitchen.

Cheers........Howard

Found this on the ESC 17th Ed Guidance site.

Q35. Is a cooker switch or cooker control unit required to be provided as means of emergency switching for an electric cooker?

Generally, cooker switches and cooker control units are provided as a local means of isolation and switching off for mechanical maintenance.

In most cases, the controls incorporated in a cooker can be used to remove the source of heat if danger arises.

However, a cooker switch or cooker control unit may also be provided as a means of emergency switching if the designer of the electrical installation decides that it is necessary, in which case it must be located so as to be readily accessible.

The reason I ask is because when I came to fit a new CU last week, the free standing cooker was plugged into a socket behind it on it's own circuit!! I'd normally have asked 'Where's the isolator' but see Q35 and answer above!
Comments?

Pete

The house that I'm working on just now has a single electric oven built-in underneath a worktop with a gas hob above it.

This oven and the gas hob are both fitted with 13A plugtops - on the gas hob for ignition - and both have been plugged into a twin socket on the wall right behind the oven, so the only way to gain access to it is by removing the oven completely. This socket has been wired in 2.5 T&E and "protected" by a 40A MCB at the CU !!

In the course of the rewire, I've installed a new double socket in the cupboard next to the oven near the front so it can be easilly reached and plugged both the hob & oven ito it.

This socket forms part of the kitchen ring main & is protected by a 32A MCB

The house that I'm working on just now has a single electric oven built-in underneath a worktop with a gas hob above it.

This oven and the gas hob are both fitted with 13A plugtops - on the gas hob for ignition - and both have been plugged into a twin socket on the wall right behind the oven, so the only way to gain access to it is by removing the oven completely. This socket has been wired in 2.5 T&E and "protected" by a 40A MCB at the CU !!

In the course of the rewire, I've installed a new double socket in the cupboard next to the oven near the front so it can be easilly reached and plugged both the hob & oven ito it.

This socket forms part of the kitchen ring main & is protected by a 32A MCB
Looks like somebody forgot to change the breaker when the cooker got changed over!!

Somewhere i'v read the phrase 'provide a means of isolations with out due hesitstion'. I wish I could remember where i'v seen it.

I take the attitude that if the the appliance were to burst into flames, could someone who isn't electrically minded switch it off with out having to open cupboards?.... I.e not have to pull the dishwasher or microwave out first.

If not, then I fit an isolator.

Rich

Reply to Cooker Control/Isolation Switch is NOT required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock