Discuss Cooker disconnected, RCD trips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Recently had an electric cooker removed, the wire was left hanging out of the connection unit having been disconnected at the cooker end (all switched off at the consumer unit). I think the bare earth was touching one of the other two wires. My question is why did the RCD trip when I turned the cooker switch on? It was still off at the consumer unit.

A connection between Neutral and earth would create an alternative path for the current in the house to flow and cause the RCD protecting the cooker circuit to trip. Even though it was off at the consumer unit this does not disconnect the neutral or earth only the line.
The cooker switch would disconnect both neutral and line and so would not permit a trip to occur.

I sincerely hope it was also disconnected at the other end in the fuse box, or distribution box/consumer unit! Sounds like it is not if the RCD can trip. That "wire" should not be hanging around either, unless you have another cooker to put in ?

A connection between Neutral and earth would create an alternative path for the current in the house to flow and cause the RCD protecting the cooker circuit to trip. Even though it was off at the consumer unit this does not disconnect the neutral or earth only the line.
The cooker switch would disconnect both neutral and line and so would not permit a trip to occur.

Generally this will only occur on a TNCS supply though, annoying and sometimes embarrassing explain why cutting through a 'dead' cable has activated a customers RCD. :)

Thanks all for your comments. So it sounds like it's normal behaviour for a RCD to trip if earth and neutral connect on a dead cable, I was worried it might indicate some kind of fault. For the record I think my wiring is TNS (earth is taken from the supply sheath).

Generally this will only occur on a TNCS supply though, annoying and sometimes embarrassing explain why cutting through a 'dead' cable has activated a customers RCD. :)

Errr, maybe I'm going senile, but the supply characteristics are irrelevant if you make a N-E connection, it's going to trip the RCD associated with that Neutral. o_O

I'm more than happy for you to prove me otherwise though! :)

Thanks for asking Dave, yeah he's doing fine thanks. I let him do a fair bit of testing on Friday during a board change [the dead parts] and he had it off really well, the only real distraction is his current girlfriend. [4 months now which is a record :p]

I'm intrigued by this. Why would this not also happen on a TNS supply? Daz

It sometimes will and other times doesn't Daz , not certain why but it may have something to do with the distance before the neutral and earth ultimately become one, and there's often a very small voltage on a TNCS neutral which the RCD will detect when it shorts to earth ?

Reply to Cooker disconnected, RCD trips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock