Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Cooker extractor fan fault, tripping consumer unit. in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. BeeJay2

BeeJay2 Active EF Member

Hi, The overhead cooker extractor fan suddenly kicked in whilst switched off at the control!! There was a click from it & it fired up, the unit started to run with the light also coming on. I could only stop it by switching of at it's isolater.
    Later when cooking, we had it running, when there was the usual electrical bang from the fan & the power tripped out at the consumer unit. Switching the power at the hood off, then re-engaging the trip switch, it tripped out again. Immediately re-engaging the trip again it stayed connected & restored power to the kitchen, but obviously unable to use the extractor.
    Our location is north of Huddersfield.

2. diditrain

diditrain Electrician's Arms

Thank`s for sharing. Are you wondering if there is someone on here who is local to you, to come and fix it for you?

3. BeeJay2

BeeJay2 Active EF Member

Hi, hopefully. I've always done minor electrical repairs in the past, wiring external lights, sockets etc, installed the security system on my last house, but the manner of this fault occurring, ie in the text of my post, is bewildering.

4. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    David Haddock Electronic Repairs
    Why did you use the fan the second time ?
    When you knew that it was faulty ?

5. diditrain

diditrain Electrician's Arms

There will probably be someone along who is local to you, if you can be patient. What was tripping, an RCD or an MCB? Did you have the extractor isolator switched off before you were trying to reset whatever was tripping?

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    got a good mate who is a top spark, in Leeds. pm me your contact details and i'll pass it on. however, i think a new cooker hood might be required. can't say without examination on site.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Perhaps the switch is faulty to have self started, then behave, then trip. Parts may or may not be available depending on age etc. And the cost of fixing may approach cost of an average new one, just saying :)

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i'd suspect a short circuit/burn up on the PCB.

9. BeeJay2

BeeJay2 Active EF Member

If you are referring to "Later when cooking," in my post.
    When one of the 2 lamps has simply blown in the past, the RCD has tripped, so it figured that that could be the reason it tripped this time. Resetting the trip a 2nd time restored the power to the other sockets in the kitchen. So it's obvious that at that point the fault could have been a surge or suchlike, so the unit was being used when making a meal. When it went again after app 10 mins, I re-engaged the trip leaving the unit isolated.
    HTH

10. BeeJay2

BeeJay2 Active EF Member

Job now sorted. I removed the filter cover to see if anything was obvious. It was. The 6 core wiring had somehow come into contact with one of the lamps & over time had slowly melted through the insulation, hence "Bang" Stripped out the damaged wiring & re-connected. The lamp itself was caked in molten insulation which was now rock hard, my Avo showed it still functional, so cleaned it up, reinserted, & switched on, bingo job done.
    Extractor 1.JPG Extractor 2.JPG Extractor 3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Given the proximity of the unit to a heat source, I would advise against using what appears to be a wood screw to secure the terminal block as the sharp edges may cut through the nylon and touch a terminal... resulting in either another bang or something becoming live that perhaps shouldn't be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Not doubting your ability to do minor electrical repairs but I hope you know and understand the regulations involved and have the necessary test equipment for installation work.
    .......and it's not bewildering now, is it?

13. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    David Haddock Electronic Repairs
    Have you considered using LED lamps ?
    A lot less heat, means no melting wires !

• Like Like x 1