Discuss Cooker/Hob circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Customer asking for a quote to re-vamp kitchen. Got some high end ovens/hobs:

Hob: 7.2kW
Oven: 3.7Kw
Steam Oven: 2.9Kw
Warming Drawer: 0.81Kw

She has told me other electricians have said another cable needs to be run for all this. Problem is that the CU is full, is build into a small cupboard, any new cable (SWA) would need to be run around the house - at least 30 meters. But I'm thinking the existing 6mm T&E on a 32A breaker is OK. To lighten the load could put the warming drawer on the ring.

Push comes to shove could up the MCB rating to 40A if install method allows?

Anything wrong in my thinking?

But I'm thinking the existing 6mm T&E on a 32A breaker is OK. To lighten the load could put the warming drawer on the ring.

if you allow for diversity, a 6mm cable on a 32A MCB is capasble of handling cooking apparatus up to 15kW, so i agree with your thinking.

I see 34a max ccc for 6mm² so 40a is out is it not? Table 4D5 I put a 12 kw range cooker on 6mm² 32a MCB no probs allowing for diversity.

The 32A 6mm cooker circuit is very traditional, but since we don't often put circuits on rewireable fuses any more, it's often possible to up the MCB to 40A, manufacturers instructions and cable installation method/length allowing of course!

The 32amp doesn't comply with diversity calcs, they are all separate appliances so I would be calculating them as such. If the cable length allows I would uprate the mcb, lose the warming drawer making sure there wasn't a socket on the cooker connection unit. I had one recently which took me over the 32 amps so I changed the mcb to a 40amp as you are suggesting.

Reply to Cooker/Hob circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have had my kitchen rewired and plastered. I have had a 6mm t+e on a dedicated 32a circuit for a 60cm electric cooker. In hindsight, had i known...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just been scratching my head about this one and wonder if I've missed anything. A few weeks ago I installed a new circuit for a 3kw oven and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have an old Country villa in Spain. The housing electrics were not good so the house recently has been completely re-wired to a good...
Replies
Views
I have just had my kitchen redone and the kitchen rewired with a new 6mm cable installed for an electric cooker. However I have changed my mind...
Replies
Views
I intend to install a 32A 4.8kW oven and a 13A 3.7kW induction hob on an existing 40A breaker with 6mm cable. Will this be OK?
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock