Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Cooker hood extraction up Rayburn flue in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jo May

Jo May New EF Member

Hello
    Not a qualified electrician (full re-wire being done by certified firm) but a general all-rounder. Renovating a 150-year-old cottage.
    I've just removed an old Rayburn and want to vent the fan-assist cooker hood up the flue which is cast iron and looks to go all the way up to the chimney from ground floor through the roof (2 storey house - 4-meter run?). It's approx 150 mm diameter.
    I'll install a suitable cowl on the chimney.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks, Joe

2. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

If the flue is redundant now then I see no reason not to make use of it for the cooker hood.

3. Jo May

Jo May New EF Member

Thanks. It's a round clay pipe, straight run through chimney. Should I put a moisture trap in do you think. Slightly worried about condensation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Absolutely needed a condensation trap. If it were me I might think about an inline fan higher up the flue so pulling the air out rather than push it from the bottom. Ask the manufacturer for a solution for such a situation you might get a better answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jo May

Jo May New EF Member