Discuss Cooker Hood Socket Outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been training part time as an electrician now for almost 2 years. I am considering re-wiring my kitchen and getting the work verified under a self certification scheme, not sure which company to use yet! I have been delving through the regs and am quite confident to under take the work on my own.

There is just one problem that I can't seem to figure out. In the regs, it states that the minimum height for socket outlets is 450mm and the maximum height being 1200mm. It would be ideal for me to have a double socket running from a fused spare to feed the cooker hood and the cabinet lights just above the wall cabinets.

This would be outside the permitted zones though. I have, however, seen this done in several properties. Whether they have complied with the regs or not, I am not sure. Could anyone on here offer me some sound advice. It would be much appreciated.

Hello mate, I think the part M heights refer to sockets for general use.
They only need to be adhered on new builds and full refurbs as far as I know, so prob not relevant to your kitchen.

Personally I'd put the cooker hood on a s/fcu and run the under counter lights from the lighting circuit.

I may have misunderstood, but why would it be outside the prescribed zones? Zones extend from any accessory. Daz

I may have misunderstood, but why would it be outside the prescribed zones? Zones extend from any accessory. Daz
Basically, I thought that any socket or switch needed to be at a minimum height of 450mm and a maximum height of 1200mm. In reference to your comment, do you know where I can find it in the regs? Regards.

Sorry, my mistake - I thought the second part of your query was about cables running outside prescribed zones. Daz

Reg 522.6 for description of prescribed zones for cables installed in a masonry wall less than 50mm from surface. Also described pictorially in the OSG.
Reg 553.1.6 for socket heights
Part M of the building regs for current heights of accessories in new builds and similar.

Reg 522.6 for description of prescribed zones for cables installed in a masonry wall less than 50mm from surface. Also described pictorially in the OSG.
Reg 553.1.6 for socket heights
Part M of the building regs for current heights of accessories in new builds and similar.
Much appreciated, Andy. I'll give them a look over now.

Just to add to the debate. I tend to install a single socket outlet for appliances, such as cookerhoods etc. My reasoning being that the appliance can easily unplugged for maintenance, as opposed disconnection of a flex outlet plate (by electrician), because it appears some appliance manufacturers engineers seem incapable of doing the latter.

FCU switching said socket being a bonus, but not vital IMO, depending on suitable location for FCU & some clients perquisite for minimalist look. :imp:

Reply to Cooker Hood Socket Outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock