Discuss Cooker Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gaz28

Hi,

I've recently bought a dual fuel cooker which requires hardwiring.

The user manual states that it needs to be connected to a double pole control unit with a minimum rating of 32A. However, i've just had an electrician round who, after looking in the manual, said that the oven only needs 8A and can be connected to my ring main.

The technical data from the book is below.

Grill: 2.2/2.4 kW
Main Oven: 1.8/2.0 kW
Top Oven: 1.7/1.9 kW

I'm just wondering who is right?

Thanks a lot!

Manufacturers instructions should always be followed.

looking at the info your have provided then the maximum your oven will pull is 4.4kw= 19.1amps, I have worked that out on the fact you can use the main oven and grill at the same time but not all 3 together.

Appliances like this are often prepared with a generic manual because they are sold in many countries and each country could have a different set of regulations covering electrical installations and so they cannot make provision for diversity. In your position I'd be asking the electrician you consulted why he thinks 8A will be sufficient, if he is worth his salt he won't mind explaining it to you.
As a rule though manufacturers instructions trump anything.

The diversified load figures given by Dillb look very accurate to me although I have only just gotten up

I recently installed an oven where all three can be used at the same time, and if that was the case then it would be pulling close to 30amps. The manufacturers instructions, as we have said, must be followed in this case! :)

No, there was no power cable supplied. Also, just wondering, is £130 about the right price for someone to come in, put a new breaker in the consumer unit and install a new cooker point?

Thanks,

It's impossible to comment on the potential price as we know nothing about the installation. For example, is it an easy run from the consumer unit to the appliance, how long is the run etc.

I very much doubt it would come with a 13amp plug with a potential load of 6kw's

Yeah, I know, but my thinking was that if the other guy who's been round there and looked at it was right about it being lower power then it might have. The OP did say it was dual fuel, so some of it must be gas. I've got a big dual fuel cooker here and that's got a molded 13A plug top on it.

Yeah, I know, but my thinking was that if the other guy who's been round there and looked at it was right about it being lower power then it might have. The OP did say it was dual fuel, so some of it must be gas. I've got a big dual fuel cooker here and that's got a molded 13A plug top on it.
I know exactly what your saying, some of them do, i'm just looking at later post where op lists loadings of 2x ovens +grill= 6kw, not picking holes, just saying.

Reply to Cooker Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net