Discuss cooker isolator switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

mcm

-
Reaction score
can anyone please tell me if a cooker isolator has to be at a minimum hight over a cooker.

what it is the custormer wants a new cooker installing and the old switch is over the cooker but at around half a meter above cooker.

as above, but if you can't move it, issue a MWC with the isolator position noted as a departure. however, if you think it is at risk of damage/heating, you must persuade the customer to have it moved.

Definitely a 50's built house by the sounds of it. For some reason they always went high directly behind or just to the side of the cooker position. I reckon every council house from that time had exactly the same situation. Though i would think many have now been altered or the cooker position moved sideways. ...lol!! :39:

bet when they built these house in the 50's the didn't expect them to stay up this long. better built than the crap they throw up nowadays. can't hang a picture on the wall without 1/2 cwt of cement to reinforce the cardboard that passes for walls.

bet when they built these house in the 50's the didn't expect them to stay up this long. better built than the crap they throw up nowadays. can't hang a picture on the wall without 1/2 cwt of cement to reinforce the cardboard that passes for walls.

In those days most people used gas cookers anyway. Electric cooking has always been expensive. ... Mind you, the way they keep increasing gas prices in the UK, i don't know if that's still the case. Just read another 17% increase on it's way from October. Don't know how they expect people to be able to afford increases of that size!!

talking about cooking, anyone want a good recipe for chicken? it's "beer can clucky" and it's dead easy.

500mm above the cooker sounds a bit too close to me.

Explain the possible consequences and maybe they will see sense. If not make sure you note it on an MWC as said previously.

I was asked to fix a broken FCU earlier this year. I found 3 FCU's immediately behind a gas hob - literally 30mm. The middle one that they wanted replacing (which isolated the hob) had melted!

After isolating I issued a Dangerous situation notice. Never heard anything more so I assume it is still like it. Best of all, the customer was a vicar.

Before I start I'd like to add that the notes below are my interpretation of the regs and that in this instance I think the regs are not good enough.

This issue has been a topic for debate at work for a while. mcm needs to know there isn't a reg that covers the position of the cooker switch. As Keith suggests there is a recommendation only, set out by the Electrical Safety Council if I recall correctly. It also states something like the user shouldn't have to reach across the cooker to access the switch.

The applicable reg covers any damage due to any mutual detrimental effect so if there is no indication of damage and the switch is far enough away, even over the cooker, then its not a departure. You might choose to put it down as an observation though.

Please don't flame me (excuse the pun) as I suspect there are alternate views out there and I'd welcome a constructive debate.

Reply to cooker isolator switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net