Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Cooker outlet, no room + gas ignition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. grandfortune

grandfortune Solar Guru

Hi all

New build house

Cookers they re supplying dont have room at the backs to allow for the outlet, so for now we are putting 6.0mm out the side cupboard to dual socket then from dual socket to cooker outlet,socket is for plug for gas hob, outlet for cooker

reason for using a dual is for room for the 6.0mm even though we are only using one for the ignition

another problem is we only have a 300mm cupboard for these to go into next to the cooker and its awkward to do

could do with some solutions pls

i have noticed that there is about 12inches of room below the cooker but if we put socket and outlet there the cable for the gas ignition isn't long enough to reach the bottom (was thinking of putting a dual click cooker outlet on its side feeding cooker then socket),gggrrr

any ideas lads
    cheers
    grand

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Yep flipping kitchen designers, quite often end up putting cooker outlet in adjacent (or not so adjacent) cupboard.

Cant see anything wrong with running 2.5mm to single socket (for gas ignitor) from cooker outlet (32amp supply).

Edit; although I tend to spur off RFC for such (gas ignitor)

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

^^ he says he's going to fit a 2G socket!

4. Midwest

I tried to ignore that thought and steer OP in another direction :)

5. mickfred

mickfred Regular EF Member

Go for the duel click cooker outlet and if you want drop one cable in a sw fuse to put the ignition into

6. valleybilly

valleybilly Scuber Do

Extend the hob cable and do what u said in your post ?.

7. grandfortune

grandfortune Solar Guru

i cant see anything wrong in ruining a 2.5mm off the cooker outlet even if im using a 2 gang socket .

Cheers
    Grand

8. mickfred

if it's over 2kw needs its own circuit

9. Midwest

It isn't, and it is :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Be some hob ignitor if it needed more than 2kw :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

No it does not. This comes from Appendix 15 of the bible and that is titled "informative".
    The 2KW malarky is just GUIDANCE

its to help the hard of thinking when looking at possible circuit designs.

If the 2KW was a regulation then most domestic appliances would not come with plugs on them, they would have to be hard-wired to connection points around the house.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mickfred

Your right it is just guidance as is almost every word in the book , but yeah i get you point . I just MISSREAD and thought that the op had changed his mind and was going to plug into the ring main instead(his choice only guidance) .

13. grandfortune

grandfortune Solar Guru

no its just for the ignition, if i do put it low down ill just fit a 1 gang socket anyway, the reason the the dual socket is to fit the 2x 6.0mm in as it was in a 300mm cupboard and tight to get in.

14. Midwest

I know others have already stated/suggested this; for the cooker, I'd install (from the cooker switch) a cooker outlet in adjacent cupboard, mounted surface in the cupboard. For the hob ignitor, I would install a spur socket (spurred off or part of RFC if possible) again mounted surface in adjacent. I would tend to do this on a refurb of a kitchen, and certainly in the case of a new build, where you have a blank canvas.

If for some reason, this is not achievable (and I can't see why not, in the case of a new build), you might have to feed the hob ignitor socket from the cooker outlet, Click do a two gang cooker outlet plate, if space is tight.

15. reshyam

reshyam New EF Member

Business Name:
    seo
    Hi Guys,
    Well come to forum site.We have noticed that there is about 12inches of room below the cooker. But if we put socket and outlet there the cable for the gas ignition isn't long enough to reach the bottom side (we thinking of putting a dual click cooker outlet on its side feeding cooker then socket).
    Thanks.................

16. Midwest

Ehh? o_O

• Like Like x 1
  17. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

How odd!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Midwest

Very queer!