Discuss Cooker outlet plate converted to double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

markco

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone found this today cooker outlet converted to a double socket which the cooker is plugged into it then a extension lead plugged into other socket which runs the gas hob ignition and garden sockets and garden light's all on 33amp mcb with 6mm from board to cooker then 1.5mm to outside socket then 2.5mm armoured cable split into two to run sockets and lighting any thoughts on this

Hi everyone found this today cooker outlet converted to a double socket which the cooker is plugged into it then a extension lead plugged into other socket which runs the gas hob ignition and garden sockets and garden light's all on 33amp mcb with 6mm from board to cooker then 1.5mm to outside socket then 2.5mm armoured cable split into two to run sockets and lighting any thoughts on this
Yes, where did they get the 33Amp CB and where did they stable their horses whilst doing the wiring, and how do they sleep at night?

Not a great set up. This should be split up and done properly. Please get an electrician to check it

You make sense of that, sounds like a cooker control unit has been changed to a two gang socket with all this ancillary stuff plugged into it.

Sorry mis type 32amp and the truth is the house belonged to a electrician who did the works himself got called to check why it was tripping rcd from new owners

Are the SWA radials hard wired into this double socket or are they coming of the extension?

As far as I see it nothing wrong with the set up. A bit weird agree, but ok.

Only the SWA would be a concern if it's hard wired.

I can't honestly see any issue on the face of it. The fixed wiring is one double socket protected by a 32a mcb with 6mm cable. No issue there at all unless the cable is 200m long.
Then there are two things plugged in, outside the scope of fixed wiring, and although dodgy sounds, the latter setup must be protected by a max 13A fuse. The load doesn't sound like it would overload the fuse, garden lighting and a socket, no kettles involved. Or heaters. Although someone might plug in some ir patio heaters perhaps.
So it all depends on the workmanship really.

Are the SWA radials hard wired into this double socket or are they coming of the extension?

As far as I see it nothing wrong with the set up. A bit weird agree, but ok.

Only the SWA would be a concern if it's hard wired.
somehow i can't envisage SWA being wired into a 1363 plug. hang on. seen it once. 2.5mm SWA connected into a RCD plug, installed by the company that installed the hot tub. armour wrapped in green/yellow insulation tape. class installation.:(:(:(.

somehow i can't envisage SWA being wired into a 1363 plug. hang on. seen it once. 2.5mm SWA connected into a RCD plug, installed by the company that installed the hot tub. armour wrapped in green/yellow insulation tape. class installation.:(:(:(.

Agree to a point. There are lots of things I cannot envision, but they exist all the same.

I've seen SWA terminated into a j/b then a flex coming out of j/b to a plug.

As johnduffell states this would be outside the scope of fixed wiring.

The two Swa cables are wired into a ip 56 box which is feed from one off the ip rated outside sockets one off the swa runs to any other double ip socket the other runs to a ip light switch the tripping caused by water in one of the boxes no gasket on it and no ip glands used

My point about the changing the 32A is because - as mentioned elsewhere on the forum - a normal domestic white double 13A socket is rated at 20A across the 2 outlets.

Reply to Cooker outlet plate converted to double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net