Discuss Cooker outlet plate converted to double socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My point about the changing the 32A is because - as mentioned elsewhere on the forum - a normal domestic white double 13A socket is rated at 20A across the 2 outlets.
yes, but the 32A MCB is to protect the 6mm cable ,not the socket or whatever is plugged in.

The 32A MCB is to protect the 6mm cable and the CCU - The equipment the circuit was originally designed for.

Fitting a double socket onto a cooker circuit is a botch up when other solutions could have been used.
The OP may want to reinstate an oven that requires more than 13A...

Just checked the OP.... It is a cooker plugged into the socket? why not just leave it connected to the CCU?

somehow i can't envisage SWA being wired into a 1363 plug. hang on. seen it once. 2.5mm SWA connected into a RCD plug, installed by the company that installed the hot tub. armour wrapped in green/yellow insulation tape. class installation.:(:(:(.
SWA in a plug, how could there be a problem:praying::fire::speaknoevil::seenoevil::hearnoevil:, just ensure you use the right fuse:openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:!
Cooker outlet plate converted to double socket SWA in plug.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Fitting a double socket onto a cooker circuit is a botch up when other solutions could have been used.
I guess you agree it meets regs but you don't like that it is not what you'd fit if starting from scratch? Or that the original ccu backbox is reused?
Would it be ok if it were 32A then the double socket, but a second double socket were added elsewhere on the circuit? Or if the circuit was cut short and a double socket were added somewhere near the cu instead?

The 32A MCB is to protect the 6mm cable and the CCU - The equipment the circuit was originally designed for.

The OP may want to reinstate an oven that requires more than 13A...

Just checked the OP.... It is a cooker plugged into the socket? why not just leave it connected to the CCU?
Changing a low level cooker connection point to a double socket is a solution I have frequently used for a single oven (<2kw) and gas hob setup where a 6.0mm 32a circuit previously fed a cooker.
The above sort of illogical nonsense is spouted by the same sort of people who faint at the sight of a neutral in a switch and at a shed with an 'exported earth'.

How do you know that? I expect the house was wired long before a cooker even appeared in it, the 32 MCB is there to protect the cable from melting and burning the house down, for all we know the cooker connected to the supply could be a 3 KW oven, so why a 32 amp then?

This install does make the fault finding easy - unplug extension lead and this separates 6mm to double socket from all of the ‘unorthodox but accepted’ wiring to the outdoors circuits. Tripping stops = explore further - perhaps all installs could be designed like this!
I’m only kidding - it’s Saturday have another Flat white!

Changing a low level cooker connection point to a double socket is a solution I have frequently used for a single oven (<2kw) and gas hob setup where a 6.0mm 32a circuit previously fed a cooker.
The above sort of illogical nonsense is spouted by the same sort of people who faint at the sight of a neutral in a switch and at a shed with an 'exported earth'.
The only thing I wouldn't like about it is if the box was mounted vertically...…..and the d socket 90 degrees out.;)..….break every reg going, would that:rolleyes:

Yes, where did they get the 33Amp CB and where did they stable their horses whilst doing the wiring, and how do they sleep at night?
Who makes the 33 amp cb? New one on me after 40 odd years in the trade

Reply to Cooker outlet plate converted to double socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock