Discuss Cooker ring trips rcd in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

optician

Hi, wonder if anyone can help?
I have an old electric cooker on an RCBO cooker circuit, and one of the rings trips the RCBO when you turn it on, does this mean the element needs replacing?

How old is the cooker.Maybe you should think about replacing the cooker:eek:An RCBO detects earth leakage and overload.If it trips when you turn on 1 of the rings,sounds like the ring itself is faulty

Last edited by a moderator:
It works apart from this one ring, and I'm assuming it would be cheaper to replace the element, rather than buy another cooker, although I can see where your coming from. Just wondered if anyone could say for sure.

How would the faulty ring/element test using the insulation and continuity tester, I,ve been trying to test it and proove a fault but all rings seem to give similar results, yet they work? Am I going about this the wrong way?

How would the faulty ring/element test using the insulation and continuity tester, I,ve been trying to test it and proove a fault but all rings seem to give similar results, yet they work? Am I going about this the wrong way?

would suspect it would be the insulation test that would show the fault. Test carried out dead and only showing the fault when that ring is switched on.Test on 500V between L+E and N+E correct readings would be greater than 1000M ohms. Very low reading would indicate a fault.

You would have to disconnect the ring to do an insulation test to earth as they are all connected to a common neutral,otherwise you would get the same leakage reading at each ring due to the neutral link between them all.

Reply to Cooker ring trips rcd in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net