Discuss Copper Pipe Lamp Earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me. I am going to undertake a small project for my home which will be a copper pipe lamp for the living room.

I bought a lampholder and wire and have a few questions before I start.

The lamp holder is metal with a ceramic insert (see pictures). I have also found a nice youtube video which shows the exact same one here:

There appears no earth terminal on the holder itself just a small hole. I am also aware that as the lamp is made of copper that will need to be earthed accordingly. Here is something similar I plan to create: Copper Pipe Retro Industrial Chic Table Lamp - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/493455097/copper-pipe-retro-industrial-chic-table?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=copper%20pipe%20lamp&ref=sr_gallery_13

My question is how would i go about earthing the holder and the pipe itself. Would i need to unsheath the earth cable all the way through the lamp to ensure the whole lamp is earthed?

Thanks

holder.jpeg

inside 2.jpeg

inside 3.jpeg

inside1.jpeg

The actual ceramic part of the lamp holder is not intended to be earthed.
The ceramic insulates the live parts from the exposed metal construction.
To Earth the lamp, you would have to attach the CPC to somewhere on the metal construction.

The earth terminal screw should be in the small hole in the side of the internal bracket, it is missing in the video as well. This is essential if it is being used dangling with the supplied plastic flex clamp, especially as this lampholder is not constructed to class II standards.

I have used a similar fitting to make a lamp out of an old AVO test meter. To earth it I fitted a large diameter ring terminal around the hollow threaded stud, secured with the nut. Not sure if this would be possible in your case though.
Just unsheathing the earth is definitely not suitable - it needs to be a low resistance connection to ensure it is safe. Ideally it could do with testing once it is finished.

The earth terminal screw should be in the small hole in the side of the internal bracket, it is missing in the video as well. This is essential if it is being used dangling with the supplied plastic flex clamp, especially as this lampholder is not constructed to class II standards.
Hi

I thought class 2 standards are un-earthed and class 1 are earthed?

Class II is double insulated, without an earth connection. Class I is earthed. Your lampholder as it stands could be described as Class 0, in that it should be earthed but it has no earth connection. Class 0 is not permitted in the UK.

Class 2 metal lampholders are available which usually have some sort of internal plastic cover over the wiring and terminals. Class I is preferred for DIY constructions though.

As mentioned above, something like this may be used to earth the fitting at the threaded mounting tube.

Useful item that Freddie. Makes my modified ring terminal look a bit 'bodgy' !

Class II is double insulated, without an earth connection. Class I is earthed. Your lampholder as it stands could be described as Class 0, in that it should be earthed but it has no earth connection. Class 0 is not permitted in the UK.

Class 2 metal lampholders are available which usually have some sort of internal plastic cover over the wiring and terminals. Class I is preferred for DIY constructions though.

As mentioned above, something like this may be used to earth the fitting at the threaded mounting tube.
Thanks for this. That look like what i need. Wont it stick out though?? it's make the lamp look ugly.

What about soldering an earth wire directly to the copper pipe in a discrete place. (Note I don't mean go to a discrete place to do the soldering).

What about soldering an earth wire directly to the copper pipe in a discrete place. (Note I don't mean go to a discrete place to do the soldering).
Well I thought I might be ok for that but I thought you said that it would need to be a low resistance connection to ensure that it is safe? could you explain this to me please?

Well I thought I might be ok for that but I thought you said that it would need to be a low resistance connection to ensure that it is safe? could you explain this to me please?

Soldering is a very low resistance joint (if done properly). That's how a heck of a lot of electrical connections are made!!

Oh well i'll be soldering the copper pipe too. So you would solder the earth directly to the pipe? what about the bulb holder?

Difficult to say without seeing exactly what you are doing. The main thing to remember is that any metal part needs to be connected to earth via a mechanically and electrically sound method. Safety is paramount - I know it's in your own home, but it could still pose a risk.

That definitely needs an earth and it looks like it should go on the bridge section which fits the lamp holder

Difficult to say without seeing exactly what you are doing. The main thing to remember is that any metal part needs to be connected to earth via a mechanically and electrically sound method. Safety is paramount - I know it's in your own home, but it could still pose a risk.
oh yeah i understand and wouldn't attempt anything without advice first. It just difficult to know where and what I need to be earthing and how.

Reply to Copper Pipe Lamp Earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net