Discuss Cordless stuff, does it really compare to mains??!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

Ok, so i have mains dewalt skill saw, hitachi 115mm grinder, makita multi tool. Am wondering - if i invest in 18v milwaukee stuff of all the above will i notice a real difference in power?! I'm particularly wondering about the grinder i suppose. Would it just lock up all the time if it was 18v cordless? Any thoughts girls?

I 'd rather this wasnt about brands vs brands. I'm a milwaukee bloke and already have the 18v batteries so i'm not really thinking about changing from milwaukee.

Nice one

Eddie

I have the dewalt girder, it's great for tray, strut etc. it will basically cut what the mains ones do but you just have to go slower. Always use the skinny stainless/inox discs.

Disclaimer: i have bosch mains sds and milwaukee 18v sds and of course use the mains for heavier work. Was just wondering if, for house bashing, the 18v stuff mentioned above would suffice for chopping out chases, floorboards, skirtings etc... Ta

Disclaimer: i have bosch mains sds and milwaukee 18v sds and of course use the mains for heavier work. Was just wondering if, for house bashing, the 18v stuff mentioned above would suffice for chopping out chases, floorboards, skirtings etc... Ta

I would highly recommend a circular saw for floorboards.

i was in stiches a while ago watching as someone chopped through a water pipe

I only usually use my battery tools, but do have 110v jigsaw and SDS, and will use them if I am doing a lot of work with them, ie drilling concrete all day etc as the batteries will not last and also will be worn down a lot quicker.

for house bashing install a temp supply board and operate on mains, (maybe except a combo drill for wall plugs)
leave 18v gear with expensive batteries for a proper site with too many health and safety managers around.

Cordless tools would be the choice for the basic day to day stuff, but where known extended heavy use is required, then it's always best to use corded tools....

Good choice by the way, the Milwaukee cordless tools can handle most jobs better than others... lol!!

As long as you keep your blades and drill bits sharp and don't abuse them you'll be good. Where a corded skil saw will just burn and chew its way through timber with a blunt blade a cordless will flatten its battery in no time. And if you try and force things instead of letting the tool do the work the same will happen.

Of course angle grinders are built for butchery so if you want to do a lot of cutting and grinding get corded, if only the occasional bits then go cordless.

I have the Milwaukee fuel brushless cant fault it also a good buy the drill and impact driver good if you choose right you done need getting full kits ie I have 18v sds comes 2 batteries bought 90deg drill and grinder bare and drill and impact driver as kit so 2x batteries

I have milwaukee 18v combi, impact, sds and radio!

I do run temp supplies when house bashing but cordless is so much easier!

I think i am going to get 18v milwaukee multitool and skillsaw because they are the tools i use here and there not all the time whereas if i've got a day of 1st fix i'd use grinder and sds all morning and really put them thru their paces.

Great advice everyone, thanks a lot.

Reply to Cordless stuff, does it really compare to mains??!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net