Discuss Core drill advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drew35

I'm looking at buying a new drill to core drill with, up until now I've just used my SDS drill which has been fine with 100mm, or 127mm holes. However I've just bought a 150mm core and my SDS drill needed nearly all day to get it through nine inches of brick, and it didn't seem to enjoy the experience!

Dedicated core drills seem to be ridiculous money for what they are, especially as I wouldn't use it very often. So looking in the Screwfix catalogue, they have a DeWalt 1100w percussion drill for £189.99. Surely its more than up to the job? It has a safety clutch, so the only difference I can see between it and a core drill is that the core drills seem to have a 16mm chuck?

So surely all I need is as powerful drill as possible (1100w?), with a safety clutch, and a switch to de-select hammer function? I'm trying not to spend a fortune because I hardly ever core drill. And yes I've seen the Sparky core drill, but I want to use it more than once!

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what we have, 110v version. Never had a problem and not once been smacked in the face with the drill or my own knuckle like I used to when using standard drills!

Makita UK

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same Makita as GaryM and can't fault it really , it's even managed to drill through reinforced concrete when needed it's now about 6-7 years old and still going strong although it doesn't get used to often.

What ever you do not make the same mistake i made and purchase sparky!!!

Took my one back to screwfix sharpish... They don't refund tools unless they're faulty soo had to tell a little fib.

Think I will buy the bosch as its got a 3 year garuantee with it

Reply to Core drill advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I recently moved into a house with electric storage heaters and am looking to replace them with electric radiators. Gas and oil are not viable...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
Hi I've inherited a very tight space, a KMF switch and some split-con for a sub-main to try and tidy up. It's a joyous non-restrained single...
Replies
Views
Most of the work I do is additions and alterations in domestic properties, and other than swapping accessories and lights in new-builds for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. In a bit of a situation which is starting to cause a fair bit of stress and figured maybe asking some silly questions here may help to...
Replies
Views

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock