Currently reading:
Core drill or SDS for a large hole in the wall?

Discuss Core drill or SDS for a large hole in the wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all...

On the few occassions I have fitted a kitchen extractor fan the builder has already cut the hole! This time I'm cutting it!

I have a cordless makita SDS which although great I have ruled out as not powerful enough but I am unsure whether to get the correct tool for the job, i.e a core drill or a corded SDS which would be useful for many other things as well as cutting great big holes.

I'd be interested to know if you guys just use your SDS (with clutch) or if you use a core drill? I'm also considering the 'drill lots of holes around the circumference and chisel out' method but I expect that takes much longer and is messy, plus it's always good to get a new tool!

Expect It'll be a 150mm diameter for the fan.

Cheers chaps..

Core drill if you can afford it, got to be better as it's designed specifically for the job surely? If you get a cavity with any insulation in it, pull the insulation out once you've cut the 1st brick/block as it will jam up something rotten...and make sure you take it off hammer, it's cutting not blasting!

Aye, a sure fire way to wreck a diamond core bit is to use it on Hammer Action.

The Tungsten Carbide jobs are different - those ones you DO use Hammer Action.

I've never core drilled with hammer on, I'm not as daft as I look. All you really have to do is take your time with them. Try to blast your way through and you're going to cowp ya creels, if you're lucky it'll be the drill that takes the damage. If you're unlucky.........

Reply to Core drill or SDS for a large hole in the wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back