Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Correct cabling for flat consumer unit supplies in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. James McDonough

James McDonough New EF Member

I'm after some advice please guys..

I've got a job where the builder is converting a shop and flat above into 3 separate flats. There is currently just a 100a single phase supply into the shop on the ground floor.

I have requested a new three phase supply to be installed, which will be located on the ground floor and will eventually be the hallway for the 3 new flats.

So in the hallway will be a three phase supply and three meters (one for each flat). I then need to run a cable from the meter to the consumer unit in each flat and trying to work out the best way to do this.

Has anyone done this before as has any good suggestions?
    The supply cable for each flat will ideally have to be inside the wall and floor at some point so if I use t&e it will require a 30mA RCD. Which will then cause issues because it may trip before the consumer unit RCD. Also thought about using a time delayed RCD but I can't seem to find a 30mA version out there.

Thanks in advance!

James

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Whilst there are a few time delayed 30mA RCDs out there, it would not be acceptable to use one in the situation you describe.

3. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Switch fuse for each flat feeding a 16mm or 25mm (depending on suppliers fuse) 3 core SWA. Put the earth in the cable, earth the armour at the origin of the supply.

Terminate in a 2 gang back box behind the CU and bring the supply in from the back, or just terminate directly to the CU.

That's how I'd do it :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

No such thing as an s type, 30ma rcd is there? As SC says swa cable suitably glanced at both ends.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Electric Magic

Electric Magic Electrician's Arms

Good advice. Although you can size the cable based on the size of the fuse in the switch fuse rather then the supplier's fuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

I believe some Chinese companies produce them.

7. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Something like this??? Those Hager are cam lever HBC fuses. IMG_3385.JPG IMG_3386.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    P.S. not my work.

9. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

We did some flats several years ago, where the main supply and meters were located in the basement. We ran a split concentric cable to each flat
    image.gif

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. westward10

That requires additional rcd protection if in a wall without earth containment.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

SWA would be my option too. Saves having to use extra protection against impact or other measures to avoid having to RCD protect the distribution circuit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Switch fuse and swa is the only option

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. westward10

The easiest option but not the only solution.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

The flats were done in 2006, so rcd protection wasn't required.....SWA is the best way to go, may be cheaper to run a seperate earth cable along side 2core swa as opposed to buying 3 core.

15. dinger809

dinger809 EF Member

Business Name:
    Did this a couple of months ago. Three phase supply into Ryfield Board and then each individual supply out, through meter, isolator switch and to each flat using 3 core armoured.