Discuss Correct warning signs for high voltage (potential belt off 2 phases) please help!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

harrison2987

Anyone with experience of this or an idea please help.

I have 2 phases going going into a cab, each one 230v. However there is a real chance someone could touch the two and get a belt from each phase at the same time.

What would be the correct type of warning sign to use? Also out of interest, if they did get a belt off the two would they recieve a 460v shock?!

Thanks in advance guys!!!! : )

Re: Correct warning signs for high voltage (potential belt off 2 phases) please help!

NO, ... 400V!! This isn't high voltage either but standard Low voltage. Any standard warning notice that brings to the attention the presence of 400 volts being present will suffice...

Re: Correct warning signs for high voltage (potential belt off 2 phases) please help!

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct warning signs for high voltage (potential belt off 2 phases) please hel

400v is all well and good, just remember those dreaded amps..!

Non as it as this cropped up in work and on checking the regs whilst it was in the 16th edition (514-10) it has now been removed from the 17th edition so non is required.

Is it really regarded as good practice not to warn others of impending voltages within cabinets ?

I think, if the switch room cabinet, or whatever it is, is not under the direct supervision of skilled personnel with suitable locks and warnings in place then there maybe a case of a lack of duty of care, particularly, if someone was then to receive a shock because they were stupid enough to stick their fingers in there.....

i`d be putting a warning label on the enclosure advising that theres 400V (nominal) available between phases...

Label as if a numpty was working in there. Not sure on your setup but if each enclosure has 230v then label them with 230v. We then normally add a 400v between label. Yes it's overkill but it covers your arse and works.

Label as if a numpty was working in there. Not sure on your setup but if each enclosure has 230v then label them with 230v. We then normally add a 400v between label. Yes it's overkill but it covers your arse and works.
nail, head, hit

Expected voltage in electrical enclosures is 230v where you exceed this then a 400v warning should e affixed, also when you say cab what do you mean? ... Electrical enclosure? How exactly would someone come into contact with both phases (i assume they are over different phases... your opening post has me questioning myself)... if they require a tool or key etc to gain access then they should be competent to be working on 3ph if they can gain access without a tool then an overview of the safety of the set-up will be needed to address this.

As a voltage exceeding 230V to Earth (Uo) does not exist, no warning is required.

As a voltage exceeding 230V to Earth (Uo) does not exist, no warning is required.

I refer you to 514.10.1 ........ there is no mention potential measured to earth, if you have item or equipment with a NOMINAL voltage exceeding 230v where it would normally not be expected then before access can be gained a clear warning label should be visible

Fair point. I always took nominal voltage to be to earth, but after looking at the definitions in part 2 of 7671, it doesn't specify, it says that it is the voltage by which an installation or part of one is designated.

No worries evryday a school day even ive been corrected today and ive been in the trade 25yrs lol

voltage (potential belt off 2 phases) please help!!!

Expected voltage in electrical enclosures is 230v where you exceed this then a 400v warning should e affixed, also when you say cab what do you mean? ... Electrical enclosure? How exactly would someone come into contact with both phases (i assume they are over different phases... your opening post has me questioning myself)... if they require a tool or key etc to gain access then they should be competent to be working on 3ph if they can gain access without a tool then an overview of the safety of the set-up will be needed to address this.

I'm betting a server cab...or rack...

Equipment inside fed from 2 different phases. It is normal practice to label it up as 400v, usually on the job spec actually. There normally under most circumstances kept at 230v.

So just ops teams opening it up not electricans.

Although he could be on about something totally different LOL...

More than likely if it is fed from 2 different phases it will also be from 2 different supplies. This would also require a label.

More than likely if it is fed from 2 different phases it will also be from 2 different supplies. This would also require a label.

Now that sounds more like it for the UK!! I'm sure many can think of umpteen labels that can be applied to this panel, going by the amount of labels that seem to get plastered over every CU these days!! lol!!

Reply to Correct warning signs for high voltage (potential belt off 2 phases) please help!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock