Discuss Cost for EICR reports in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken77

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the going rates where for EICR reports in London, as not sure if my pricing is realistic.

What do people charge for

1 bed and 3 bed properties?

Is it best only to charge per circuit?

I am currently trying to win some work from local estate agents and don't want to scare them off being being greedy.

Thanks

i think you will find alot of sparkies do the actual reports for silly money and then rely on the follow up remedial work to actually make a profit

there are sparks around my way charging around £60 per property so you know they are going to pull down the customers pants for the remedials!

as an example i do a 3 bed house EICR report for around £120-£140, this is for a pretty thorough report with a covering letter, quote for remedials and reg no.s next to any non-compliances i find, i still consider this cheap as you are looking at least 4 hours work plus and an hour or two for paperwork afterwards so you have to round it off as a day, but tell a customer its £100+ and you wont win many, especially off a estate agent!

I have never charged per circuit so cant comment on that really

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! That's me having to rethink my pricing strategy then. I was thinking closer to £180 for a 3 bed. Real shame that value of work not appreciated and estate agents go bargain basement. The last PIR I reviewed (undertaken by another Spark) was for a 1 bed flat, with 6 lights in whole place, two of the lights were class I and the electrician didn't notice that neither had CPC. Nor the fact that there was open continuity on the only ring main for the property, and had provided IR reading which were false (or somehow the cable had deteriorated within 3 months from time of his test and my review, changing from results of >200M ohms to 1.12 M ohms. Not very likely).
Out of the last 5 PIR/EICR reports I have seen 3 of them have had unforgivable mistakes on them. What ever happened to being competent?

funny you should say that as i rarely see a test sheet these days, even for an old property with an I/R reading of less than >200 in every box on every circuit

the world of domestic PIR's is a sad place for someone who actually cares!

I charge £160 for anything upto and including a 3 bed house. Conservatory would be extra £40 as would extra bedrooms etc. I offer a discount of 25% for flats with 2 beds or less.

I dont win much granted but then again I do a proper job, including paperwork there isnt much time left in a day to do anything else. I also dont pull the customers pants down on the remedial works. In fact i state from the off that unless they specifically ask me to quote for it then i wont as it could be seen as a conflict of interest. They get a report, and a list of non conformities, unless specifically asked for I wont even tell them recommended ways to fix the faults. My price for a report is exactly that.

Saying that like I said I dont win much these days with the £30-50 a test brigade on the case, but then again I dont want to value my work at £60 for a test that takes 4 hours to do properly and then rely on the remedial work to make it pay, i dont think this is the way that EICR should be done. Needless to say estate agents dont want to know. 1 local estate agent wanted me to do them for £30 per property because he had 50 that needed testing...

Heres a slightly different take on things....Bearing in mind its not the estate agent who pays the bill I'd imagine a lot of business savvy electricians make a small fortune from estate agents EICR's if they offer said agent some kind of 'incentive' for putting the work their way and the actual price becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Had an enquiry the other evening for a condition report for a 3 bed house, i said £140.......I heard a thud... i think he fell off his chair. Any way he said he didnt have much money and he heard it was about £60. I said you get what you pay for and if you think £60 will sell your house quicker then best of luck to you.

quoted £100 last time, did not get the job, cowboys do it for 50 quid :(

Amlu. Just curious why he is automatically labeled a "COWBOY" simply because they offered a better competitve price, and got the job ahead of you in todays very over supplied and competitive market. Like yourself and most, I am also very frustrated at the under value of our skill and trade.
I take it we do not know what the reason why you did not get the work, and they did, and it is not always price - it could be a host of other factors, and dare I say it the client may even have thought you were to cheap at £100 and gave it to someone more expensive as the other party awarded the work may have sold and presented themselves and product a lot better than you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amlu. Just curious why he is automatically labeled a "COWBOY" simply because they offered a better competitve price, and got the job ahead of you in todays very over supplied and competitive market. Like yourself and most, I am also very frustrated at the under value of our skill and trade.
I take it we do not know what the reason why you did not get the work, and they did, and it is not always price - it could be a host of other factors, and dare I say it the client may even have thought you were to cheap at £100 and gave it to someone more expensive as the other party awarded the work may have sold and presented themselves and product a lot better than you.

Complete bollox,,,,, YeeeeeHaaaaaa

EICR for £50 quid is ridiculous.

Like to see how they can do a EICR + rectify any hidden/unhidden faults aswell.

- - - Updated - - -

EICR for £50 quid is ridiculous.

Like to see how they can do a EICR + rectify any hidden/unhidden faults aswell.

Reply to Cost for EICR reports in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net