Discuss Costing of EIC & EICRs...... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Thomps

I have been asked to test my friends renovated property, fully rewired, and said i'd do it for £100. He is a qualified spark but i did check his 1st fix work to verify his workmanship and all seemed ok to me. It has if i remember - 3 rings, 2 lighting circuits, cooker, smoke alarms, 2nd small board which feeds outhouse which has ring and lighting too. The thing is he seemed narked off that i was charging him too much, i'm new to the game but i thought that was cheap! Anyway, what i'm after is a type of price you lot would normally charge so i can try and show him i'm not here to rip him off!

It has put me back a bit now in confidence as i had a chap who rents a few properties out and i mentioned i'd do some EICRs for him, but now i'm not sure what to quote him. They're all 2 up 2 down, basic 5 or 6 circuit properties. Was thinking £150 each but now i don't know weather it's too much or too little?!

Any advice would be appreicated.

Silly question but if he's a qualified spark why doesn't he do it himself?

The more that people agree to sign off other peoples work and break the law i might add, the longer we will not be valued as electricians and all be packing shelves for more money. carry on fella, might meet you down the job centre.

He is a competent spark but doesn't hold any testing qualifications, hold a registration with a competent persons scheme or have the equipment needed to do such testing.

£150.00 is the going price don't be afraid you got to belive to yorself ,good workmaship,fairness,etc dont' do it any less.

The more that people agree to sign off other peoples work and break the law i might add, the longer we will not be valued as electricians and all be packing shelves for more money. carry on fella, might meet you down the job centre.

Why can't i carry out third party inspections? According to my NAPIT registration and insurance certificates i can? Or am i missing something here?

You can sign off other peoples work- HOWEVER remember your signing it as if its your own job.

you can do inspections as in EICRs, but you should not complete an EIC for someone else's work unless you have been involved in the 1st & 2nd fixes.

He is a competent spark but doesn't hold any testing qualifications, hold a registration with a competent persons scheme or have the equipment needed to do such testing.

You have had to buy your test gear, pay for courses and pay annual registration fees for your competent persons scheme, so you need to factor this cost into your pricing.

just going off on a slight tangent here, but what about the QS who turns up on a job after it's all installed, then tests and completes the EIC?

I thought you'd be fine if you use the EIC with Designer / Installer / Tester signatures? It clearly states who did what, and if i have inspected his first fix then what is the issue? I will be checking his 2nd fix when doing the testing anyway. It's probably more indepth than using the old building control method.

Its a bit of a grey area, signing off other peoples work. Basically you have to claim your company did the job or summin, which is fine, it did, he was just a subcontacted labourer who did all the chasing cable pulling etc, go for it, ignore all the naysayers.

£150 for a periodic on a 2 up 2 down is perfectly reasonable, Its about what I'd charge. My stepmum owns a few rented 2 beds (in Berkshire) and her estate agent sends her a quote for about £350+VAT every year to test each one, now thats a money spinner if ever I saw one, If only I wasn't allergic to estate agents.

If you're pal is ****ed off that you charges him a one'er for testing and inspection maybe you should suggest he ring a few companys and see how much they want for cert'ing his work (and all he'll get is an EICR)

I would say £150 was fair, i have been charging around £215 each for a row of 8 bed 3 storey town houses ive been doin lately

If your doin a EICR remember to allow for the paperwork afterwards, i allow around 2 hrs each to fill these out, the new ones take me ages

As per the 3 stage certificate im sure its the person who installs have to issue the cert which designers and testers can sign,
a tester or designer shouldnt be issuing the cert, thats the rules with the NIC anyway may be different with others but makes sense

I personally wouldnt sign anyone elses work off, my cousin done a few private jobs and then called me when they were done to sign them off(cheek), i said no, he was p**sed off with me but his work is rough and i didnt want to think its ok cause before you know it, it will become a regular thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Costing of EIC & EICRs...... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock