Discuss Couple of questions just run by my thoughts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
couple of questions just thought I would run them by you lot to see your thoughts

1. Changing a fuseboard and it's in a block of flats the supply comes in 10mm singles through a conduit then a meter then 16mm tails to the board.

Bonding is all in place and tested it's 6mm though. Planning to leave this as is.

Feels wrong to use the old painted tails so going to upgrade them to 25mm

Should the bonding be upgraded as I've upgraded the tails. I think not as the supply is 10mm

Should I buy new 16mm tails ? would rather not as I have lots of 25mm

2. Changing another board and all the cables are rear entry including tails.

Anyone see any problem cutting a big square cutout at the back for the cables and tails

Normally I use a stuffing gland at the bottom to hold the tails still

Only thought is the tails are free to move about in free air not that there should be movement but I carnt think how to secure them when they are coming in from behind.

Not enough slack to put a stuffing gland at the back and tighten and place the board to the wall

The current board has them like this floating about.

Cheers

couple of questions just thought I would run them by you lot to see your thoughts

1. Changing a fuseboard and it's in a block of flats the supply comes in 10mm singles through a conduit then a meter then 16mm tails to the board.

Bonding is all in place and tested it's 6mm though. Planning to leave this as is.

Feels wrong to use the old painted tails so going to upgrade them to 25mm

Should the bonding be upgraded as I've upgraded the tails. I think not as the supply is 10mm

Should I buy new 16mm tails ? would rather not as I have lots of 25mm

2. Changing another board and all the cables are rear entry including tails.

Anyone see any problem cutting a big square cutout at the back for the cables and tails

Normally I use a stuffing gland at the bottom to hold the tails still

Only thought is the tails are free to move about in free air not that there should be movement but I carnt think how to secure them when they are coming in from behind.

Not enough slack to put a stuffing gland at the back and tighten and place the board to the wall

The current board has them like this floating about.

Cheers
If the supply is 10mm2 can't see the need to upgrade the tails at all

Just upgrading the tails as it's a pet hate of mine to see a new shiney consumer unit fitted and the old scruffy tails left in place. I always replace the tails when doing a board swap.

I don't have any 16mm DI tails but have 25mm so asking what people's thoughts were as to replacing them with bigger tails and not upgrading the bonding. Don't think it needs to be done as the incoming supply singles are what I think are 10mm in conduit.

Supply type is tns at the main incoming position and there is a separate 10mm earth cable in the conduit which terminates in an earth block next to the meter in the flat.

You have a TNS supply of unknown rating but using 10mm² incoming conductors to the meter and 16mm² from meter to board, the bonding is 6mm².
You wish to change the 16mm² tails from meter to board.

There is no reason to do this based on the information you have given but then again there is no electrical problem with changing them to 25mm², there is only the legal problem of removing the meter seals to do this.
The minimum bonding size is 6mm² so this is compliant and does not need changing.

Board 2
You wish to bring in all cables from the rear of the board.
This is a common and even often recommended means of bringing cables into a board so that there is no risk of penetration through accessible surfaces.
If you have concerns about the movement of tails then you could just bring them in through a separate hole that is sufficiently sized to hold the tails steady, but do protect the tails from the edges of the hole with a grommet or strip. Using a membrane grommet may help to hold them in place.

You could use a suitably sized SWA cleat to secure the tails. Dress the tails into a position where the cleat can be secured to the back of the DB (inside!) and then dressed into the main switch.

Reply to Couple of questions just run by my thoughts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net