Discuss Cowboy electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was called to a house where they said the fuse for the sockets kept blowing.They had kept replacing the fuse until it didn't blow anymore but now the sockets have no power!.

When i arrived to have a look they said another electrician had come out and in order to fix the fault had replaced the consumer unit! The sockets still had no power to them.
Anyway i had a look and found the house to wired in rubber cable.Obviously the blasting had totally destroyed the conductors blowing apart the fault and now was sat there with no power.

I turned my attention to the consumer that the 'electrician'(and i use the term loosely) had fitted.
Heres what i found.
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/OVG1tOt.jpg

He has used the old cotton covered tails and fed it through an unbushed hole with the red clearly digging into the consumer unit.

Also the main earth cable looked like it was only 2.5mm!
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/ADKv2od.jpg
No earth bonding to gas or water.
Heres the inside.
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/ooOlYg2.jpg

Needless to say there was no certificate,no labels,no part 'p' notification etc.

I am gob smacked at the incompetence of this so called electrician.

What do others think?

20161105_181630.jpg

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.
It's a shocker, literally. For me, it does take the biscuit with the cotton covered tails. I think I saw this at my grandma's house when I was a little un. But they wouldn't have been pushed through a metal CU !
Hopefully they will address this properly now ?

Edit : I think these tails ARE from my grandma's house !!!

Last edited:
They got him off Facebook.I know who it is and have been in contact with him to give him a roasting.The customer has threatened him with trading standards unless he gives them their money back (£250).I don't thing he's in any scheme(i wonder why).I have to go back next week to rewire the house properly.The lighting is in plastic but has no earths so thats being done as well.It goes without saying i will be replacing the tails with 25mm and the earth with 16mm and bushing the hole properly.Main earth bonding will be carried out to gas and water.
I am an Approved NIC domestic installer so they will get a proper job done and certs at the end when safe.

They got him off Facebook.I know who it is and have been in contact with him to give him a roasting.The customer has threatened him with trading standards unless he gives them their money back (£250).I don't thing he's in any scheme(i wonder why).I have to go back next week to rewire the house properly.The lighting is in plastic but has no earths so thats being done as well.It goes without saying i will be replacing the tails with 25mm and the earth with 16mm and bushing the hole properly.Main earth bonding will be carried out to gas and water.
I am an Approved NIC domestic installer so they will get a proper job done and certs at the end when safe.
He wants more than a roasting.

I know it doesn't make it right but who the hell gets a tradesman off Facebook??? Sometimes customers don't exactly help themselves?

Reply to Cowboy electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net