Discuss Cowboy Electricians and Installation Certificates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am with westwood 10 on this ....Carry out an EICR for piece of mind at least & dont skimp on the IR testing or inspection parts. As for Part P well it needs shelving (not the wood kind !!) since its inception it was flawed. Some home owners have been advised to take out an insurance policy when selling their property if no Part P cert was available... anyway...insurance companies, don't you just love them!!. Scrap Part P, the selling of consumer units and certain electrical items in big sheds, introduce a Licence scheme....or wasn't "Electric safe" a good idea for the general public to understand ?...until politics got in the way!!....I'm off my soap box now sorry :((BTW...I'm Part P approved :eek:o_O:mad: keeping someone in employment with more tick sheets)

I wish we could get away from this " Part P approved/qualified line.
it should be I belong to eg Stroma C.P.Scheme etc.
I know it has been mentioned above but who employed the electricians the O.P.Uncle?.

Part P should have been the registered license scheme where whoever you sign up issues a photo ID card with expiry date as part of the scheme membership and you can only purchase certain electrical items with it. Alas the big DIY chains won the battle based on financial reasons and not public safety!
Rant over .
I would first carry out EICR and like others said go over it with a fine tooth comb. I would steer clear of signing it off for Part P if you have 3rd party certification as part of your scheme remit, unless you want to lift floor boards etc and check that they have complied fully with building regs and BS7671. Remember once you sign it off you are then guaranteeing their workmanship and assuming full responsibility for it.

Very little information has been given as to why this installation is potentially dangerous and carried out by 'rouge' cowboy electricians other than lack of paperwork. If it is that bad it is likely to be obvious to an experienced electrician with just a cursory visual check.
Seen this on here before, newly qualified, bursting with self importance, self appointed electrical police. If I've got that wrong OP lets see some evidence by way of pictures of the rogue installation.

These types of post always amuse me, it's like wading around in treacle. For a start why don't you contact the council and find out if the job was ever notified? If it was then maybe the certificate has just got lost, perhaps the council could check back via the certifying body. If it never was then maybe it is dodgy, so, as it is your uncle, you could give it a coat of looking at and check it out, being as you are qualified to do so. If you are a member of Stroma then I believe you need to have a decent set of electrical quals now, so it might also be helpful to update you profile with them.

it's like wading around in treacle
You have a strange hobby.

so it might also be helpful to update you profile with them.
I haven't added mine. See no point. Don't want to either.

The OP I think has long gone now. Shame really...
We do seem to be good at doing this though....
Maybe we need to take more happy pills and be more tolerant with some posts.

You have a strange hobby.

I haven't added mine. See no point. Don't want to either.

The OP I think has long gone now. Shame really...
We do seem to be good at doing this though....
Maybe we need to take more happy pills and be more tolerant with some posts.
***k em. Sorts the men out from the -------. They always come in here, raping and pillaging, like a load of Vikings.

Part P should have been the registered license scheme where whoever you sign up issues a photo ID card with expiry date as part of the scheme membership

Stroma insisted on issueing me with a photo ID card this year - needless to say I don't carry it.

If anybody wants to see my photo ID, they can see my driving licence

We all get asked to carry out eicrs for properties that have no certification. The history of this we know not. And we ask not. On completing said eicr we state concealed wiring is not inspected. If it passes we stick a label on it saying test again in ten years.

Yes an eicr is a good place to start.

Really interesting reading through this entire thread. There is some good helpful advice and some unhelpful comments. The OP may well have left but he came here asking for advice, thoughts and suggestions; the whole point of this forum. It’s easy to play the experience card and put people down and belittle, perhaps that’s why people end up buying from B&Q and DIY. We can help more by educating and giving the best advice we can, credit to those that did for this thread.

Really interesting reading through this entire thread. There is some good helpful advice and some unhelpful comments. The OP may well have left but he came here asking for advice, thoughts and suggestions; the whole point of this forum. It’s easy to play the experience card and put people down and belittle, perhaps that’s why people end up buying from B&Q and DIY. We can help more by educating and giving the best advice we can, credit to those that did for this thread.
Bowlocks!....they do it because it's cheaper.

If people made it clear what their experience is, before jumping in with both feet, it might stop others presuming.....

Bowlocks!....they do it because it's cheaper.

If people made it clear what their experience is, before jumping in with both feet, it might stop others presuming.....

You are probably right about B&Q, I stand corrected ;)

I didn’t feel that the OP jumped in with both feet in his first post but there was a lot of presuming... maybe I’m saying it’s the presuming / assuming that’s the problem. Lesson from decades ago was never assume, it makes an --- out of U and ME. The lesson kinda stuck. In this line of work we can never assume anything. Can we!

You are probably right about B&Q, I stand corrected ;)

I didn’t feel that the OP jumped in with both feet in his first post but there was a lot of presuming... maybe I’m saying it’s the presuming / assuming that’s the problem. Lesson from decades ago was never assume, it makes an --- out of U and ME. The lesson kinda stuck. In this line of work we can never assume anything. Can we!
Assuming on site and on a forum are entirely different.
On site, the facts are in front of you, assumptions, on some occasions, and decisions are made based upon the evidence available.

If opinions are asked, answers can only be given based on the evidence given. The assumptions will occur as a result,
inexperience included.

Reply to Cowboy Electricians and Installation Certificates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock