Discuss Cowboys in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They will never be able to stop diy electrics and the cheap job done by the pub guy,even if they wanted too
Its un enforceable, as shown by that crappy part p nonesense (especially here, where its hardly got any attention at all )

Let them get on with it,but bring in very stiff and enforced test and inspection,that has a much better chance of being regulated

They will never be able to stop diy electrics and the cheap job done by the pub guy,even if they wanted too
Its un enforceable, as shown by that crappy part p nonesense (especially here, where its hardly got any attention at all )

Let them get on with it,but bring in very stiff and enforced test and inspection,that has a much better chance of being regulated

Before the advent of internet, forums and the communication age, I remember sitting a a gear head technical room and talking with a lad whose dad was an electrical contractor in our area, and he was telling me that his dad was spitting feathers as he quoted to do a new wire project on a set of 6 houses, and was under cut by a guy who was cash in hand etc etc .............this was 1975'ish, so it's nothing new lads, and as Des said it will never change.

Listen I hate to say this but it will always happen yes we do want to chase these clowns out of the trade and I now get customers who now ask me if I can show them my qualifications ie SJIB card that I have now scanned and I am quite hapy to send it before I even look at the job.

Best thing that can happen is that the public get better educated so these type of jobs are reduced mind you a customer was telling me in Germany and France you have to get permissission for alterationss to your property and if it is found that you did not go via a business then you have to pay a fine and the tax bill of the value of the job so cowboys have been virtually eradicated

Yes I understand that, my point is We spend a lot of money and time to get NICEIC approved, just to let cowboys undercut us, it's about time the goverment made it Law to stop this happening.

How?
Part P is pretty conclusive - If cowboys and the Public want to bypass it then they will BUT at there peril.

Yes I understand that, my point is We spend a lot of money and time to get NICEIC approved, just to let cowboys undercut us, it's about time the goverment made it Law to stop this happening.

To put it a little callously
The corpse count is no where near high enough or significant enough

Well its about time we followed Europ after all we are susposed to be part of it

Deary Dear follow Europe you will have a pile of Civil Servants spluttering in their tea Why ? because thats their job Jings you will want us to embrace the European Employment act that we bailled out of 23 years ago just think who would want better legal protection for your job Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

But to be realistic the faster we stop taking this island mentality and make sure our politicians protect us and not them the better for everyone just think if the black economy went legit we would not have a debt problem.

To read this thread, you'd think that Part P is there simply to try and provide electricians with more work.
Is that what it was intended for all along?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's about time the goverment made it Law to stop this happening.
I can't see that having much effect, at least not in my lifetime, while people can still remember the good old days when you could save some money by doing it yourself.
I get the impression that a lot of customers are more interested in saving money than complying with legislation - they just want the lights and sockets to work and are quite happy to use reputable tradesmen for a free estimate to give to the local 'beat the lowest legitimate estimate by £20' guy.
I don't think you can ever put a stop to 'the guy in the pub' because he's difficult to track down - you don't know where he lives, you've only got his mobile number, you don't even know his last name.
When the brown stuff hits the fan 'Stella Dave' will just find himself a new local and possibly get a new pay as you go SIM.

I don't think you can ever put a stop to 'the guy in the pub' because he's difficult to track down - you don't know where he lives, you've only got his mobile number, you don't even know his last name.....
I thought this is what Part P is supposed to be doing. Making all (most) work accountable with names, addresses and certificates?

They're not all cowboys.There are plenty of sparks who work direct for companies that do cash jobs on the side, often with company material.
Sub contract sparks on large housing projects always do rewires without notification. It does'nt mean the work will be any less compliant with regs,but only with Part P which we all know is almost totally uninforcable

I thought this is what Part P is supposed to be doing. Making all (most) work accountable with names, addresses and certificates?
That's not going to do much if you don't get a certificate at all.

"That'll be fifty quid to make the lights work, and another fifty quid for a bit of paper with some numbers on it which don't mean anything to you"
"OK just make the lights work then."
"Fine."

Its time well all got together to stop the man in the pub doing house rewire's etc, its killing the industry.

What do you propose we do .... get together in a vigilante style mob, hunt them down & beat the carp out of them with baseball bats???

I'm in agreement with you guys and think that the law should prevent DIY electrics and require some minimum qualification to be held to even touch the electrical installation. It has been done for gas, why can't it be done for electric as well.

You don't hear of people who are 'competent' gas installers, but have no quals being allowed to fit gas systems, which is prevented by law, unless corgi registered/gas safe etc...

And whilst l understand that gas is an explosive material, with the potential to cause deadly harm, my arguement is, so is electricity.

It cannot be seen and is just as deadly. Joe Bloggs who decides to undercut everyone at the pub, probably hasn't had the training (hence the cheapness) and l for one could not believe that after 3 years of training with theory, practical and all the health & safety they crammed into my brain now have to pay £500 per year which Joe Bloggs could just come along pass the assessment on the day, making him 'competent'.

I think that a portfolio type system should be used in place of Part P, to demonstrate what a person has actually done. This would help drive out some of the undesirables. Part P should be abolished and the regs should be divided into two main sections, Statutory & Non-Statutory. that way you have all of it in one place. You would know instantly what you are allowed/required to do, with the other section being judgement based...

So where did this all go wrong then well here is my thinking on it I served 4 years then another 2 years for improving to get approved level and the system worked a treat then Maggie Thatcher took over and said let the market decide so it did and it virtually done away with training and the need for a vision to see that eventually a lot of sparks would retire and because we went to a service economy then a lot of sparks divercified into alarm,facilities maintenance, plant maintenance etc now "trade" thought hold hold there is a shortage here lets fast track it but at the same time lets try and manage it ie make them register with the very people who were meant to be policing our industry now we have a self serving virtual monopoly who run about collecting "subs" and dont care who can sit and pass an exam within 6 weeks as long as they pay their subs and as for stopping people doing their own electrical work well guys me thinks you are missing the point because this is the very thing that keeps them in a job

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cowboys in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock