Discuss CPCs in wrong holes inside consumer unit...x8! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peeko

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've recently done some testing on some welfare trailers used on building sites on behalf of the rental company at their base. Mixture of fixed wire/PAT/FAT to make sure they're going out to the customer OK.

I've done 8 so far and they were brought brand new 12 months ago and I've picked up stuff that I believe has been done in the factory. The rental company have gone back to the manufacturer as they've bought over £1m worth of these in the last 12 months and they've got defensive. It seems a sub-contract electrician has been doing them and he's trying his best to wriggle out of it.

One of the worst was a double socket, 2.5mm radial, no more than 6metres in circuit length with an r1+r2 of more than an ohm. Turns out it was terminated on the pvc not the copper. Found this on 2/8 units so far.

Others have got exposed tri-rated cable behind a wall mounted heater fed from the fcu not in trunking or conduit (fine apparently, even though the odd one is done in 2-core flex).

The main one he's getting funny about is on every single one I've done so far, CPC for circuit 3 is in position 4 in the CU, and CPC for 4 is in position 3. I didn't think anything about it until I did the 2nd trailer and got an open loop testing the same fcu in different trailers. Swapped them round, bingo.

There's no way they're being tested correctly and I'm happy to wallop him with that, but I was always taught that it comes under the 'correct identification of conductors' reg.
CPC 3 should be in slot 3. We've all worked on some minging boards and had to make hay while the sun shines but on a new install... That you've supposedly performed initial verification on... Surely you'd spot it, swap them round for the next fella & change the wiring diagram if it's on every one.

We're doing the remedials as we go as they need to be safe to send out so it's not really a case of coding it on an EICR but I'd still like to pull a reg number out if I can. Left GN3 in office too so if there's anything that springs to mind there regarding him clearly not doing r1+r2 that'd be appreciated.
Cheers, Charlie

Any open circuit R2's and you can definitely say they were not tested. Regarding the cpc's in incorrectly numbered terminals in earth bar.......he will probably say during dead testing he terminated the busbar to earth and tested. In reality he probably just took Zs's and made up the rest. Seems fairly common practice out there unfortunately :(

In my experience,the testing on these,even at manufacture,is "sketchy"... function test with something heavy,socket-n-see,visual....

A good place to start,with these type of rigs,is to obtain the makers own test sheet,from new,or a test/inspection procedure that they approve....but don't hold yer breath :)

Reply to CPCs in wrong holes inside consumer unit...x8! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock