Discuss CPN cudis lumo consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was recently asked to install a CPN cudis lumo consumer unit by a client, what a horrible and badly designed unit. I didn't like the look of it from the beginning, it felt and looked cheap and nasty, the MCB's supplied where the same, cheap and nasty as did the RCD units and main switch. The incoming supply to the board would be at the top of the DB and was an SWA, this DB has a metal lip at the top of it and the earth and neutral bars are located at the top aswell, due to this there is no way to get anything in to tighten the SWA locking ring, I had to take the SWA gland apart so I could get it securely fixed and then put the gland back together. After fighting, cursing and a few choice words it was installed, when I asked the client why they had bought it they told me they had been told it was the best board on the market and was what every Electrician is installing. When I informed them that I only ever install Schneider or MK (personal preference) the client replied that they never chose that make due to being to expensive? So I asked what they had been quoted for the boards, Schneider with MCB's-£576 +VAT, MK with MCB's-£519 +VAT and the CPN with MCB's-£280 +VAT! When I asked which wholesalers they had got it from they mentioned a well known one, someone doesn't have a conscience. You can get the CPN boards online for £65 with MCB's or a Schneider or MK for £90 ish with MCB's, total madness. Any way don't use CPN boards, absolute nightmare and cheap, nasty units.

They are horrendous, whether I've just spoilt myself by only using Schneider or MK and expect all other manufacturers to be of the same standard, but them boards I would never install ever again, I'd rather walk away from the job. The NIC must be getting a nice payment to endorse them which is about right for the NIC ££££££££

Those high prices mentioned by your client, I think are retail which just about nobody pays for them, unless you have a government contract.

I see that Wylex have introduced a curvier CU, the NMX range. They've obviously still got shed loads of paint left, 'cos its still the same donkey **** yellow colour.

I installed 2 of those boards before Christmas. found the gap between the case and bottom of RCBO was very tight for getting the busbar in.

Customer supplied,

I am using a lot of BG boards at the moment.

Find them a lot easier to work with tbh, my suppliers have a few other brands, CED have knockouts on the exterior, so awkward to set up.
ESR just seemed cheap dirt.

Used a Hager about 6 weeks ago for first in a long time and was put off by the square knockouts. Having to get the wholesaw out to get round holes for glands was like going back in time lol

I installed 2 of those boards before Christmas. found the gap between the case and bottom of RCBO was very tight for getting the busbar in.

Customer supplied,

I am using a lot of BG boards at the moment.

Find them a lot easier to work with tbh, my suppliers have a few other brands, CED have knockouts on the exterior, so awkward to set up.
ESR just seemed cheap dirt.

Used a Hager about 6 weeks ago for first in a long time and was put off by the square knockouts. Having to get the wholesaw out to get round holes for glands was like going back in time lol
you can get hager boards with no knockouts so you can drill them where you want if you need to.

We have been fitting the schneider boards as they are on offer.
Only gripe I have with them is the neutral bar is running down the sides, when changing a board, neutrals are normally short.
Couldn't beat the old square d quickline board

CPN are manufactured in China, no wonder they're so bad.

I took a look at some a couple of years ago at one of the NIC trade stalls, their main selling point was the LED to illuminate the MCBs when you have a fault. I think my sarcastic "Ooohhh, look at the little light" comment went over their heads...

The guy who I installed it for is the Agent here in NI, kept saying they won Consumer Unit of the year etc lol

The light is all well and good, but if the lights go out most people use the torch on their phone to see to get to the CU lol

Whether it be commercial or domestic I always try to use EATON as the build quality is great and RCBOs are only a tiny bit bigger than the MCBs.

Eaton is very expensive here in NI, has to be shipped up from Dublin, had to order a 30mA RCD last week for a job, there's a carriage charge and was approx £35 plus vat for the RCD and carriage.

I have gone back to Hager boards after using BG for a while. What a difference! They are much better quality, din rail/MCBs don't deform or buckle. The cover goes on easily without having to manhandle the MCBs into place to do so. And the price of the Hagers is much better now. BG are cheap for a reason. I have had multiple failures of various bits of their gear (pull cords/pendants/RCDs/MCBs) and will be avoiding them in future. I mean, FFS, how does a brand new pendant set not function!!

I've had a few issues with BG. Only used them a few times, as well.

Might try the Hager CU's, although it would be an order in job, as my wholesaler doesn't keep them on the shelves.

How do they compare price wise, like for like with MK & Wylex NDG?

Eaton is very expensive here in NI, has to be shipped up from Dublin, had to order a 30mA RCD last week for a job, there's a carriage charge and was approx £35 plus vat for the RCD and carriage.
I think Dunlop and Hamilton stock it? It's been a long time since I used them mind so could be totally wrong.

I've had a few issues with BG. Only used them a few times, as well.

Might try the Hager CU's, although it would be an order in job, as my wholesaler doesn't keep them on the shelves.

How do they compare price wise, like for like with MK & Wylex NDG?

My local Eddys and Yesss keep them in stock Mid. 10 way fully populated dual rcd for around £85.00 inc VAT. You get to choose the MCBs as well obviously. Fitted my first Hager board last week, after a two(?) year absence, and am glad they have become competitively priced again.

Schneider with MCB's-£576 +VAT, MK with MCB's-£519 +VAT and the CPN with MCB's-£280 +VAT! When I asked which wholesalers they had got it from they mentioned a well known one, someone doesn't have a conscience.
These are some very worrisome prices. At first I thought it must be a new lad that didn't understand the way Wholesale CPU Systems work, and that the trade prices come up and then you have to apply the discounts. But after checking the trade prices on these boards they seem to have been drastically uplifted.

EZ9ES2R5R5DMRE £255.56
K7666SMET £330.29

The Split Carton Trade Prices aren't much higher than those either.

I don't know how people can feel proud of themselves for doing that.

Schneider with MCB's-£576 +VAT, MK with MCB's-£519 +VAT and the CPN with MCB's-£280 +VAT! When I asked which wholesalers they had got it from they mentioned a well known one, someone doesn't have a conscience.
These are some very worrisome prices. At first I thought it must be a new lad that didn't understand the way Wholesale CPU Systems work, and that the trade prices come up and then you have to apply the discounts. But after checking the trade prices on these boards they seem to have been drastically uplifted.

EZ9ES2R5R5DMRE £255.56
K7666SMET £330.29

The Split Carton Trade Prices aren't much higher than those either.

I don't know how people can feel proud of themselves for doing that.

Reply to CPN cudis lumo consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net