Discuss crab tree cu with merlin breaker? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

12345aob

I friend of mine just phoned me to tell me that his lighting in his shop keeps tripping, after a few qustions i concluded he had a faulty fitting but in my questioning i asked him to look at his cu and he told me that his last breaker in his crabtree unit was a merlin one - i was just wondering if crabtree and merlin are compatible as it sounds a little strange to have two different types of breakers?

Realistically it's not a case of compatability.
Miniature circuit breakers, as manufactured by reputable companies comply to DIN specifications and BSEN60898, the latter giving the functional requirements.
In order to comply with the DIN spec the front escutchion on the breaker and the rear shaping have to comply to specific sizing, the locations of the connection terminals have to be within specis areas but the exact positioning, within these areas, is down to the manufacturer, hence some mcbs will fit in other manufacturers boards and some will not (sometimes they stick out of the cu slightly more).
Installation of an alternative manufacturers mcb should not generally be done (unless as an immediate and temporary solution or when the original or subsequent mcb is no longer available) as any form of warranty or product guarantee is negated and total liability for any problem becomes the sole responsibility of the person fitting the device.

Reply to crab tree cu with merlin breaker? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock