Discuss Created own Van Security App for smartphone in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I spent some time putting together a security app to alert me each time the van doors are opened. I part built the commands utilizing the tasker app from androids play store and had help from a friend who lives across the pond, he built the majority of features.

I'm using the light sensor on a cheap smartphone i got from ebay £22. I have a set of commands pre loaded into the program. I position the phone in the van near the interior light, i text the phone to activate the app. Then each time the door is opened it txts me to tell me the door is opened, again when the door is closed.

I have also set the app to call me between 10pm-05:00am if the doors are opened. It also records a 30 second video and uploads to dropbox, i use a three mobile simcard so costs only the base month fee.

I also want to incorporate a GPS feature, if the vehicle is stolen it will txts the position each 5 minutes. ITs still in the test phase, thought id share the idea :D

Sounds like a good idea.
Wouldn't it be better to tap into the wiring to detect is the door is open or not? You wouldn't would a phone call in 3 in the morning cause someone has driven past you van will full-beam on.

Hi,

I spent some time putting together a security app to alert me each time the van doors are opened. I part built the commands utilizing the tasker app from androids play store and had help from a friend who lives across the pond, he built the majority of features.

I'm using the light sensor on a cheap smartphone i got from ebay £22. I have a set of commands pre loaded into the program. I position the phone in the van near the interior light, i text the phone to activate the app. Then each time the door is opened it txts me to tell me the door is opened, again when the door is closed.

I have also set the app to call me between 10pm-05:00am if the doors are opened. It also records a 30 second video and uploads to dropbox, i use a three mobile simcard so costs only the base month fee.

I also want to incorporate a GPS feature, if the vehicle is stolen it will txts the position each 5 minutes. ITs still in the test phase, thought id share the idea :D

Nice to see people thinking outside the box to solve problems although I feel on this one your trying to re-invent the wheel, most car alarm systems can be adpapted or directly tapped into to do exactly what you are trying to achieve without the obvious flaws of false trigger like mentioned above or the fact the lamp could fail or someone just breaks the window to rifle the glove compartment. Your vehicle alarm already monitors everything so why set-up another, plus you risk losing a phone which if on show would be a temptation to actually break in.

I was assuming that the OP was only using the phone as a proto-type and will hack it in the future to have the sensor neat the van light and the pone part somewhere not on show.
Still not keen on the sensor bit. That needs a rethink.

Love to see someone thinking aloud,but,here is my honest opinion,based on a good many years of inventions,bad-guys,and tackle.

Video footage will be mostly useless. Legally limited,and in the main,just footage of your gear going...

Gps positioning may eventually find what is left,but if it is needed,then the vehicle has already gone.

In my experience,big,obvious cameras,put off most,but not all.

Hidden cameras just give you instructional videos on how to chor other folks gear.

Having chased stolen trailers,mini-diggers and wagons,up and down the country,the ones that got left alone or were a failed attempt,were by virtue of simple things like hidden fuel cut-offs,sediment bowls off,or fuses taken out...

Yes, they know all the dodges,as they have written the book.
Vehicles are hard to steal now,unless you are careless. Factory fitted locking devices are well known to the SHout(sic), so coming up with something that wastes their time GETTING IN is a better deterrent than all the gizmo's.

That's for the replies.

The sensor on the phone only activates the security feature on detecting light in the interior. I wanted to wire it into the lighting but I was advised against this due to the voltage being erratic and unstable (false alarms) , I didn't look anymore into this after being told that.

The main focus was to be alerted when door was opened, I was on site and a colleague had the site box ripped out the van (bolted to the ply lol) . The alarm was sounding but he couldn't hear it as it was parked just out of ears reach.

I'm having a cobra canbus alarm fitted soon. Also a microwave sensor installed in the rear, I also have Van vault chained through the bulkhead and around front seat.

Maybe a little OTT, but my tools are my families security.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Reply to Created own Van Security App for smartphone in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net