Discuss Crimping to extend cable length. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy C

-
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for the help so far.

Re crimping, I have read posts regarding this before.
I have just seen those heat shrink solder connections.

I was going to use normal red and blue crimps then heat shrink each individual core then heat shrink over the whole T&E.

What are peoples opinions of the solder connection and is it better?

Thanks for any replies

Insulated crimps of the type you intend to use never make a sound connection on solid core conductors. IMO they are only suitable for stranded cores.
Also I have reservations whether heat shrink provides the same rating of insulation as originally covered the cores.

Insulated crimps of the type you intend to use never make a sound connection on solid core conductors. IMO they are only suitable for stranded cores.
Also I have reservations whether heat shrink provides the same rating of insulation as originally covered the cores.

Load of rubbish, as long as your using a decent quality crimper and crimps then the need to solder is completely negated. I often wonder how some people make money on this forum, fannying about with solder and several lengths of heat shrink. Most of them sound like the should work for the bleeding council. Talk about overthinking it, crimp-tug test- self amalgamating tape- job done.

The point is though insulated crimps of the type the OP is considering are NOT decent quality. If you terminate a solid core in these crimps it does not clamp the core fully because it cannot compress it, any movement of the core exerts considerable leverage on the crimp and the core will work loose.
I don't care if every single forum member says it's rubbish, they are wrong.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ratche...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLmRm8vX3dUCFRIC0wodhz0HqQ

BNT2 | RS Pro Butt Uninsulated Crimp Terminals 16 → 14 AWG | RS Pro - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8092375/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Connectors-_-Terminals_And_Splices&mkwid=sny8ZhXtD_dc|pcrid|88056670563|pkw||pmt||prd|8092375&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7ZGMsNfd1QIVx7DtCh2QWgF7EAQYAiABEgIPAPD_BwE

And then get some good quality heat shrink.

The crimping tool for insulated crimps doesn't form the crimp correctly around a solid core conductor.

An for those saying it's fannying about, I know I'd rather spend an extra min (that's all it would be) to do the job properly.

Could you use Wago connectors to extend a length of cable?
yes, but wagos have both conductors entering same side. OK in an enclusure bit looks naff in a CU. for that i'd use these:

picture121379.jpg

Load of rubbish, as long as your using a decent quality crimper and crimps then the need to solder is completely negated. I often wonder how some people make money on this forum, fannying about with solder and several lengths of heat shrink. Most of them sound like the should work for the bleeding council. Talk about overthinking it, crimp-tug test- self amalgamating tape- job done.

I already have a suitable crimper, but never thought of self amalgamating tape. That is quicker and less faff than shrink tube.

Hmm, they look a bit bulky though Tel :) concept looks good though.
they are a bit fatter than a yellow crimp connector, but much easier to use as you don't need to get crimp tool into a confined space, then find that 1 of the wired has pulled out when you're trying to crimp.

Ratchet Crimping Tool 1.0-10mm² - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ratchet-crimping-tool-1-0-10mm-/96561?kpid=96561&ds_rl=1250418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJ30x9fd1QIVZpPtCh3p5wXTEAQYBCABEgIW7_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLmRm8vX3dUCFRIC0wodhz0HqQ

BNT2 | RS Pro Butt Uninsulated Crimp Terminals 16 → 14 AWG | RS Pro - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8092375/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Connectors-_-Terminals_And_Splices&mkwid=sny8ZhXtD_dc|pcrid|88056670563|pkw||pmt||prd|8092375&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7ZGMsNfd1QIVx7DtCh2QWgF7EAQYAiABEgIPAPD_BwE

And then get some good quality heat shrink.

The crimping tool for insulated crimps doesn't form the crimp correctly around a solid core conductor.

An for those saying it's fannying about, I know I'd rather spend an extra min (that's all it would be) to do the job properly.

I already have that yellow crimper, looking at those crimps, they look hardy enough. I was thinking of double shrink tube, one on each conductor and one over the lot or is that overkill.

I already have that yellow crimper, looking at those crimps, they look hardy enough. I was thinking of double shrink tube, one on each conductor and one over the lot or is that overkill.
not overkill. what you suggest should be OK.

like here:

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ideal-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMfMvO3u3dUCFU6HUQodAKQPOQ

Reply to Crimping to extend cable length. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net