Discuss Critique please in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I know there are a few keen photographers browsing the forums. These are a few pics I have taken over the years, these are the ones I prefer the most. What I'm looking for really is maybe a bit of critique on each. Where am I going wrong, where am I going right, what could I improve etc...

I do like snapping away, but I've yet to capture a photo that I've thought "Wow!" about.

Anyway, this is me :)

Black & White Tree.jpgFrozen Tarn Hows.jpgGreen Leaves.jpgSnowy Valley.jpgWarm Forest.jpg

Here's my favourite photo of all time. Taken at 3AM, there or thereabouts when he was a few days old and woke up hungry. Taken by Mrs Trev, pure luck that it was taken in b&w

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 128
Dammit I thought this was another thread, sorry for hijacking it Damian. Nothing wrong with those pics btw mate. I particularly liked one and five.

Some very nice shots.

I like the tree, it just conveys the determination to grow where everything else has failed. Being B&W it highlights the barrenness and bleakness of the location.

The frozen lake is lacking some background in my humble opinion but I suspect you were trying to highlight the footprints which caused it to be sacrificed.

The green trees have got very high colour contrast with the orange and red foreground. Did you post edit the colours?

The snowy valley is a nice photo but the last one is my favourite, I like the light and the way it changes even the pure green colours into a shade of brown almost. I also like the way the background is out of focus and doesn't demand attention away from an interesting foreground. I'd go so far as to say that the last picture is stunning.

The reason it's so much better is that for me it's an interpretation of the landscape at just one point in time, it's a picture that couldn't be recreated even if you went back there again rather than an impersonal bit for bit copy like the snowy valley.

Sort of of pics I usually snap, a bit cliched!!! :)

I like No 3 though, the colours going from green, blue/white through to orange.

Got to ask, what were you doing this far North?!

In my very humble opinion:

1. Nicely composed. Perhaps a tad underexposed. A bit of photoshoppery to lift the levels might help a bit. Featureless sky renders it all a bit flat though.
2. Pleasant enough but not my cup o' tea
3. Like the colours on this one. Mainly let down by flat lighting conditions. Would work well at 'golden hour' around dawn and dusk.
4. Nice enough view, snow is well exposed but ultimately lacking a focal point and foreground interest to draw the eye in (I've got literally thousands of shots like this, which personally I like, cos I was there and can relate to the scene, but others find a bit meh)
5. Lovely lighting but no real focal point.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's the lighting that can make or break a shot. That's usually down to being in the right place at the right time (my prefered method) or acting like a proper photographer and sitting around on your arse all day waiting (can't be doing with that).

The green trees have got very high colour contrast with the orange and red foreground. Did you post edit the colours?

A little. Brought out the green and the red. Other than the cropping, this is the only one of the five that has been edited I believe.

Got to ask, what were you doing this far North?!

The lake district is like my second home. I just love it there. Plenty of faces to climb, plenty of hills to cycle down, plenty of meat markets to get top of the range sausages from! :D

Reply to Critique please in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net