Discuss Crossed Polarity smart meter into mains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

:)
Partner has just had a telephone call from supplier..
A full investigation is going to take place into the contracting company and 60 of his jobs before and after our house, the HSE has been informed, ofcom(?) & trading standards so I guess it looked to be serious
Rock on, keep the Forum posted pleas emate, could become interesting, worth following up on, so keep the info coming if you don't mind.

Rock on, keep the Forum posted pleas emate, could become interesting, worth following up on, so keep the info coming if you don't mind.
Thank you, yes I will. Will be interested to see where this goes. Even though we took our little ones to parents their already offering compensation in form of payment as it could’ve been a hotel... but wasn’t. Interesting

Thank you, yes I will. Will be interested to see where this goes. Even though we took our little ones to parents their already offering compensation in form of payment as it could’ve been a hotel... but wasn’t. Interesting
Cheers hope all is well with you and your's

The smartmeter has been installed for a year
Our electrician done work before this and only come back yesterday as we needed the shower putting in- that’s when he noticed the smartmeter had been installed into the mains incorrectly
So hes been before and done work but only just noticed? i guess when it came to the box on the minor cert or eic asking about confirming polarity he must have just ticked that box?
That is assuming he came after the meter was installed?
lets be honest though a lot of us have done small jobs without thinking before now when only changing a cracked accessory or quick like for like pendant etc..

But once again we have a case of poorly installed smart meter! the rate they are training the meter fitters up I am surprised more of these arent coming to light. but i suspect the home owners are unaware until an electrician comes around. I recall that recent episode of watchdog exposing the shoddy practices.

So hes been before and done work but only just noticed? i guess when it came to the box on the minor cert or eic asking about confirming polarity he must have just ticked that box?
That is assuming he came after the meter was installed?
lets be honest though a lot of us have done small jobs without thinking before now when only changing a cracked accessory or quick like for like pendant etc..

But once again we have a case of poorly installed smart meter! the rate they are training the meter fitters up I am surprised more of these arent coming to light. but i suspect the home owners are unaware until an electrician comes around. I recall that recent episode of watchdog exposing the shoddy practices.
Our electrician has been before the meter was fitted and also after, as he fitted everything before he knew something was wrong and eventually got to the smart meter.
The contractor company (another guy not the same one) came out and had his supervisor on the phone the whole time and had to take photos for the first guys disciplinary today. His supervisor told him he had to turn the electric off for the night and to remove the tails (forgiven me if the wrong terms) and we got a notice to say why.
I don’t want to see anyone out of a job, however if he has indeed put my family at risk for a year, heads will roll

this is what happens when you let loose meter monkeys with 1 day's training , whereas ( won't mention any names) a highly respected,qualified , and experienced forum member was turned down for the job . word is he's over 60 , so unsuitable for employment.

meter fitter should stick a wet finger on his neutral , if he survives, it;s right.

@Murdoch , I think you were a bit harsh on the electrician in this instance and made no comment on the incompetence of the meter installer who’s job it is solely to check polarity, fit a meter and check polarity again.
Just my opinion but. . .

@Murdoch , I think you were a bit harsh on the electrician in this instance and made no comment on the incompetence of the meter installer who’s job it is solely to check polarity, fit a meter and check polarity again.
Just my opinion but. . .

Mmmm,however,this is the dude who did not practice safe isolation,where he should have...and he would have still,found the issue.

As for the meter fitting,i despair... i am prepared to believe some of these Hunger Games bit-part players,could find a "third way",to connect two conductors.....like those M C Ischer drawings of cricket stumps with two at one end,and three at the other...

I did a post,a while ago,regarding one such fellow...he got indignant,in the extreme,as i suggested he needed a 4 pole isolator,in the fitting of a RHT meter,replacing two old,separate meters.

He repeated 4 times,how it would not work,as it would "short".

Eventually,and with the most patience and manners possible,i drew him a wiring diagram,with a child's felt-tip pen,on the side of a cardboard wine box,in the garage...He had an actual,not a metaphoric,face-palm moment,and asked to tear the drawing off the box,and take it with him.

The above incident formed one payment of compensation,out of four,to the owners,by the supplier...

Agreed that polarity check should have been carried out before and after the meter change...but I did notice the comment of 'the electrician said the connections were reversed at the consumer unit' live to neutral and neutral to live... Most people I've spoken to the meter fitter does not change tails to the CU, only disconnects and reconnects at meter. Could be that the polarity been reversed for quite sometime. Which a proper polarity check should have picked up.

Not only is the reverse polarity a serious meter installation fail it would appear from the only photograph shown that the cut out tails appear to be 16mm on the neutral and 25mm on the live, another fail.
All black cut outs are also reportable to the DNO as a MOCoPA C17 code as their construction materials can result in them becoming conductive leading to a detectable surface voltage being present.

Thanks for the info people- it’s really appreciated
Now that my head is clearer I just wanted to clear a few points as I’ve read back and not made a few points very clear

Our electrician did practice safety guidelines by disconnecting power at the consumer unit before touching any light fixings (this is how he found the problem)

The live and neutral wires were crossed at the mains unit- not in the consumer unit. At the consumer unit they were fine.

Our electrician turned off all power as he stated in 50 years of doing this he had never seen “such shitty” work done before, he was then unsure of what else could be wrong, wasn’t allowed to touch anything the meter fitter had done, so in the interests of safety he turned all power off. Our energy suppliers contractors took 9 hours to reach us as they told us to get UKPN out first who looked at it in disbelief & phoned our suppliers himself to get them there ASAP (three more hours)

Our electrician had been before and wired our whole house- so he’s done all of our house. The meter was fitted one year ago & we only just had the electrician back this week- so the first time he’s been since the meter was fitted (so he couldn’t have known before about the crossed polarity before)

The DNO was shocked and couldn’t believe this had happened & couldn’t apologise more (even though it was a colleague not himself), his superior was on the phone the whole time, me and my partner were asked to sit on sears safely out of the way until he could go through the whole consumer unit to check all work. his colleague has now been dismissed & will not work in electrics again.

The wires into the mains also didn’t have any seals on them (even though I’m not sure what this means)

This is all now being thoroughly investigated by the HSE, Ofgem have been informed & also an investigation into our energy supplier and the contracting company.

I just wanted clarification of if this was a dangerous situation for my family to be in for a year as I couldn’t find anything online about this reversed polarity from a smart meter into the mains- thanks for the responses I’ll keep you updated

Last edited:
Hi Steve, thank you for that- should this be something I should be flagging up with the DNO or will they have covered this in their report do you think?
Thanks for your time
QUOTE="stevels4, post: 1365839, member: 103455"]Not only is the reverse polarity a serious meter installation fail it would appear from the only photograph shown that the cut out tails appear to be 16mm on the neutral and 25mm on the live, another fail.
All black cut outs are also reportable to the DNO as a MOCoPA C17 code as their construction materials can result in them becoming conductive leading to a detectable surface voltage being present.[/QUOTE]

@HS2018 two scenarios as an example.

1. Depending on the supply to your installation reverse polarity could have potentially caused a fire under short circuit conditions as the circuit protective device would have been in the neutral and the only device protecting that circuit would have been the DNOs fuse which may not have operated in time.

2. Your better half has been nagging you for a couple of years to change the light in the living room so you decide to change it with an Ikea special. You turn off the circuit breaker and start to rip out the ceiling rose as you assume the circuit is now dead. However you haven't carried out the safe isolation process and as the neutral has been switched off the circuit is still live. Big blue flash and you're on the floor getting measured up for a pine box.

In short reversed polarity is a risk to life and property.

Reply to Crossed Polarity smart meter into mains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock