Discuss Crossover in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Upton, the resistance of the conductors cannot possibly be the same from every socket back to the board. Basic Ohm's law will confirm that.

Ok Boys back to the testing books for you I'm afraid.
After doing your ring continuity, I hope you then do your Figure 8, You then test each socket to obtain your R1+ R2, your expecting the resistance reading R1 + R2 of the Ring to be the same at every point!.(Give or take 0.05)
therefore the current will flow equally back to the board regardless of where you are on the Ring,( its the same resistance either way its a ring) thats the science behind and why you do the Figure 8 testing and check every socket..
If you have high reading its normal a spur, or you've connected it up wrong, (normally only happens on Single..... unless your a really idot). Or the circuit is not a ring.
Yes when testing the resistance will be about the same at each socket (except spurs), because the conductors are connected together at the CU into a big circle.
In normal use the conductors are separated into individual circles (hopefully).

Its a Ring, they are connected at the board in the MCB.
Explain. how does basic ohm law explain that? your going to need to put a bit more meat on the bones for me.

But
If the resistance is the Same at each socket( as we've tested), then the equation V =I X R, we should all be familiar.
Therefore I = V / R
V is constant at 230V, and as we've said above R is the same at Each location,
therefor I will be divided equally around the circuit.

Explain. how does basic ohm law explain that? your going to need to put a bit more meat on the bones for me.

But
If the resistance is the Same at each socket( as we've tested), then the equation V =I X R, we should all be familiar.
Therefore I = V / R
Yes when cross connected for testing not when uncross connected for normal use.

But
Therefore I = V / R
Doesn't Mr KIRCHOFF have a say in this debate, far to far back for me to remember, but it does ring a bell.

Uptonsparks, in post #16 you state "The whole idea of the ring is at any socket outlet the resistance should be the same back to the Fused board"

It should be its a ring, looks like this ( O), if you cut in to the Ring and measure ring continuity( R1 for example) it would be the same at the Fuse board and if we measured it at every socket as well it should be the same, providing you close it back to a ring at the Fuse board. When the Current hits the Ring it see the same resistance in the conductors and Flows accordingly,

My understanding is that the current is divided equally around the ring, therefore allow us to use a 2.5mm cable to be used on a 32amp MCB, if it took the shortest leg back, then surely you would have over current issue on the shortest section of of the Ring?..

Uptonsparks, in post #16 you state "The whole idea of the ring is at any socket outlet the resistance should be the same back to the Fused board"

He did Peter well done for remembering his name.,,something about what flow in to a junction must flow out, I think. I cant remember that far too long ago, I'm afraid I've Kill a few brain cell since those day.....
LOL that will be the Beer.

He did Peter well done for remembering his name.,,something about what flow in to a junction must flow out, I think. I cant remember that far too long ago, I'm afraid I've Kill a few brain cell since those day.....
LOL that will be the Beer.
Wrong post maybe? Ah I see now, yes it was many moons ago, now White man speak with forked tongue, or he don't understand diddly squat, I must refer to Medican Man @Hughes Electrical Technology book, he speaks words of wisdom, or he did when I was a mere Brave in this world of magic, kemosabi.

Last edited:
I got a 'dumb' from a bloke that joined in 2010, never posted or started a thread. Mind you, he must be a good judge of character.

In fact looking at his/her profile, he's done 6 dumbs, closely followed by 3 bad spellings & 3 olds. :D
Bit of a prat then? is he

It should be its a ring, looks like this ( O), if you cut in to the Ring and measure ring continuity( R1 for example) it would be the same at the Fuse board and if we measured it at every socket as well it should be the same, providing you close it back to a ring at the Fuse board. When the Current hits the Ring it see the same resistance in the conductors and Flows accordingly,

My understanding is that the current is divided equally around the ring, therefore allow us to use a 2.5mm cable to be used on a 32amp MCB, if it took the shortest leg back, then surely you would have over current issue on the shortest section of of the Ring?..
Ok.
If you have a ring that is 4m long with 3 sockets each 1m apart, the middle socket would have the same resistance on each leg. The other two sockets would have different resistance on each leg at a ratio of 3:1.
A 20A load connected to the middle socket would see 10A on each leg.
A 20A load connected to either of the other two sockets would see 15A on the short leg and 5A on the long.

Upton, if a load is half way round a ring final, the current will flow 50/50 along each leg, but if the load is closer to the DB on one leg, more current will flow on the shorter leg due to that shorter leg's lower impedance.
Beaten to it by Spinlondon who did a better job than me anyway..!

well I figure I'll throw you an informative, makes up for the Dumb!

I got a bad Spelling the a couple of weeks ago, it didn't bother me to much .., I thought it was quite funny as it was 5 months after the posting.

I guess he was slow at reading..

well I figure I'll throw you an informative, makes up for the Dumb!

I got a bad Spelling the a couple of weeks ago, it didn't bother me to much .., I thought it was quite funny as it was 5 months after the posting.

I guess he was slow at reading..
Or just Slow???

Thanks Tatlor, I'm feeling the Love today mate I can tell yeah!;)

I Know What saying Peter, there just Words. But that's what you get for putting your head above the Parapet.:cool:

any off to read electrical science books, I Know what an exciting life I have!.

Bit of a prat then? is he

I haven't a scobby dooh Pete, each to their own. I do get a bit tired & emotional now and then, often reflected in my spelling & grammar, and chat of total tosh, but I'm of the camp, that if you have something to add positive or not, just have the balls to say it, as opposed just ticking a little box

Incidentally, there was another member recently, who gave me a 'bad spelling', which was correct or wrong dependant on how arsed you are, but also never posted, started a thread or otherwise contributed, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! :)

Reply to Crossover in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock