Discuss ct clamps too close together? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The problem is that when it trips, it is in the main house but the inverters are in an outbuilding & often when I get to the inverters they are functioning again. So I haven't see any particular messages but the alarm light has been on occasionally.

Can I assume the trade organisations aren't be too bothered to check on their members work.

We have a split cu in the house & the rcd to on one side trips. None of the mcb's trip. This main cu controls the house plus feeds, one cable to the outbuilding via a 32A mcb. The outbuilding has the inverters which feed back to a garage style cu in the house that has a 100A main switch plus a 63A mcb. From this the + & - cables feed into two henley blocks below the meter.

I haven't tried switching off individual inverters, I am not confident that I could do everything in the correct order or know how to interpret the results.

I did consider disconnecting one of the ct clamps so only two would fight it out, This would give a theoretical maximum feedback of 5kW with the disconnected one running at 100% & the other two turned off by their ct signals. I'm sure this is not the done thing but just something to consider.

The rcd was off this morning, I assume this was due to the inverters start up load.

The rcd that controls the inverter side of the main cu is 80A and 30ms & seems to be the most sensitive part of the whole system. Due to the high startup demands, could this be changed for an 80A 100ms rcd?

If each inverter has it's own individual AC isolator just turn two off, removing CTs will not do anything helpful.

Has this system ever worked for any extended period of time without faulting ?

Hi - Some invertor manufacturers advise using 100mA RCD on them. If you've the details we might be able to check. Also please confirm if you mean 30mA where you've said 30ms in #24 :) .
Changing the consumer unit RCD from 30mA to 100mA may not be possible here as the 30mA RCD may still be required for the other circuits.

Hi - Some invertor manufacturers advise using 100mA RCD on them. If you've the details we might be able to check. Also please confirm if you mean 30mA where you've said 30ms in #24 :) .
Changing the consumer unit RCD from 30mA to 100mA may not be possible here as the 30mA RCD may still be required for the other circuits.

Sorry I meant mA. The feed from the inverters goes via the garage unit to the Henley blocks so dosen't go through the cu where the rcd trips. I believe the inverters use power from the grid to start up and although this does not go through the rcd could the brief startup cause an imbalance & still trip the rcd?

The inverter is a Solis 4G 5kW single phase.

Hi - thanks - do you know the installation earthing type and any test results?
Ok, what is attached to the RCD that trips?

Hi - thanks - do you know the installation earthing type and any test results?
Ok, what is attached to the RCD that trips?

The incoming cable was increased to 135mm sq and I think is called tt. It was supposed to increase the available power and the main fuse was increased to 80A. This was also supposed to help with earthing. We are on the end of a line. There are a couple of earth rods that were put in to help years ago, should these be removed now so we just use the grid earth. I believe our earth is atached to the neutral anyway. They tested the ohms to see if the main fuse could be increased and the reading was ok to do so. It was 60A.

Attached to the rcd that trips? I am at work at the moment & I will post when I get home.

To try to solve the initial issues when the solar was installed was that it was originally connected to an existing new upstairs cu in the outbuilding. This cu was designed to have the lights - ring main etc of the upstairs part of the outbuilding. This cu had it's own armoured cable back to the house cu & the downstairs also had it's own cu that also had it's own armoured cable back to the house cu. To try to solve the issue all the upstairs cables were routed downstairs leaving the upstairs cu empty & purely for the solar input.

I will try that when I get home. Is it ac off first then dc off? to turn on is it ac on then dc on?

Yes, those inverters do have inbuilt export limitation.

If you could confirm how the panels are configured (how many to each inverter) you should be able to get at least one working - don't forget the CTs are directional.

Again, has the system ever worked without faulting for any lengthy period of time ?

If each inverter has it's own individual AC isolator just turn two off, removing CTs will not do anything helpful.

Yes it has worked ok but never perfect, the bright weather could be affecting it as the inverters are being capped more than usual.

Yes it has worked ok but never perfect, the bright weather could be affecting it as the inverters are being
Yes, those inverters do have inbuilt export limitation.

If you could confirm how the panels are configured (how many to each inverter) you should be able to get at least one working - don't forget the CTs are directional.

Again, has the system ever worked without faulting for any lengthy period of time ?

I have double checked the cts & the arrow points towards the grid which is the direction of flow it is monitoring.

There are 54 260W panels and split into 18 panels per inverter.
They are all working at the moment, but still unsure if the 3 individual cts are affecting one another adversely.

It would interesting to view the inverters log files, they should show what grid voltage the inverters are seeing - I suspect it's going above it's expected range.

I did get the installer to make sure the voltage from the inverters was above the grid voltage to make sure it was used in preference to the grid. I don't know how to check the log files I'm afraid.

I did get the installer to make sure the voltage from the inverters was above the grid voltage to make sure it was used in preference to the grid. I don't know how to check the log files I'm afraid.

That's not quite how it works, but let's hope they've not altered any grid parameters.

You should quite easily be able to figure out how to access the statistics and logs, there's likely to be a Bluetooth connected app.

That'll likely be the second thing on the to do list of anyone you got to site.

That's not quite how it works, but let's hope they've not altered any grid parameters.

You should quite easily be able to figure out how to access the statistics and logs, there's likely to be a Bluetooth connected app.

That'll likely be the second thing on the to do list of anyone you got to site.

Thanks I will mention this check, I don't do apps etc and the only access I have to any data will be through the display & even then I may need a password to access some stuff.

I remember the output voltage was set to uk & when checked with a meter it was 260V. This was automatically set by the inverter when selecting uk.

If 260 was indeed your mains grid voltage, you'd probably be best advised to turn all inverters off, and get someone out to site.

That's way outside of the allowable range.

If 260 was indeed your mains grid voltage, you'd probably be best advised to turn all inverters off, and get someone out to site.

That's way outside of the allowable range.

Sorry Sean, the voltage that was measured was the output voltage from the inverter so automatically set to that when selecting uk. The mains incoming voltage was not checked as I recall at the time but when the subsequent new mains cable was installed by the dno it would have been checked then so should be around 240v.

Perhaps you've misunderstood what was done during the commissioning, at no point should there have been 260v measurable at the inverters output - the Country code is selected, and its that that defines the grid parameters.

A single, export limiting inverter, on a single phase, is a fairly conventional installation. Cascading, a number of inverters, on a single phase certainly isnt conventional, and given the apparent inability of the installer to correctly fit the CTs I very much doubt they'll have configured the export limiting correctly.

Given what you'll have already invested in your system, I really think you'd be best finding a Solis distributor or support and asking for a site visit - yours isn't a conventional installation so the average PV installer will have a lot of head scratching to do, you need to find someone who knows those inverters.

Reply to ct clamps too close together? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net