Discuss CU change, submitted EIC but landlord wants eicr too? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

elsparko

i was under the impression that a board change requires a eic as that is all that was altered and to be taken responsibility for?

im thinking the landlord is trying for a free eicr out of my boss, i certainly dont want the liability of the existing installation.

If he wants an EICR then he pays for it.
thats what i thought, sadly the office staff are not up to speed on the papework required for certain jobs, may have to have a word with them tomorrow, wonder how many other freebies they have given out

It's probably a misunderstanding by the landlord, possibly fuelled by a letting agent as they generally seem quite clueless with electrics.
By upgrading the CU and certifying the work you'll have verified earthing and bonding & provided full test results for all connected circuits [hopefully] so I'm my view an EICR wouldn't be due until the recommended next inspection date on your EIC.

You are right, an EIC is the correct way to certify a CU change as it is work on more than one circuit.

An EICR is a report on an existing installation and the regs make it quite clear that it is not to be used in the certification of work carried out.

Just an aside Dave and not relevant to a CU change but you can certify work such as additions or alterations to more than one circuit using the Minor Works cert as long as not adding a new circuit.

Just an aside Dave and not relevant to a CU change but you can certify work such as additions or alterations to more than one circuit using the Minor Works cert as long as not adding a new circuit.

The minor works cert model form as it appears in the regulations only makes provision for recording alteration or addition to one circuit.
You can of course use multiple minor works certs for multiple circuits.

By upgrading the CU and certifying the work you'll have verified earthing and bonding & provided full test results for all connected circuits [hopefully] so I'm my view an EICR wouldn't be due until the recommended next inspection date on your EIC.

Sorry I can't agree with the statement Dave :)

I believe the Eic is ensuring the actual work carried out (the consumer unit install) is safe
My example,I would take a earth loop impedance reading at what appears to be the furthest point to verify the operation of the protective device
I would not be deciding on the safety or condition of the rest of the outlets on that circuit or items on other circuits

My Eic would be applicable only to the work I carry out,if someone wants to make more of it than whats expected that is their call:eek:
I would take no responsibility for anything outside of what was installed :)

Sorry I can't agree with the statement Dave :)

I believe the Eic is ensuring the actual work carried out (the consumer unit install) is safe
My example,I would take a earth loop impedance reading at what appears to be the furthest point to verify the operation of the protective device
I would not be deciding on the safety or condition of the rest of the outlets on that circuit or items on other circuits

My Eic would be applicable only to the work I carry out,if someone wants to make more of it than whats expected that is their call:eek:
I would take no responsibility for anything outside of what was installed :)[/QUOTE]

Yes I see exactly what you mean Des , but with the extent of testing for the CU change and assuming good results not needing further investigation you can be pretty certain the installation is sound, of course the description of works on the certificate is the extent of your liability.

personally I would take a view on the scenario. If I am doing a cu upgrade because the kitchen company I am working for has advised the customer they need an upgrade then I supply a EIC. If its for a landlord who "clearly" is positioning to let the property out I provide EICR and cost the job accordingly. Advising that there could be some remedial work involved post upgrade and advise this involves a cost. This applies to any CU upgrade.

IMO if you do not cover this off your leaving yourself open to a bun fight.

personally I would take a view on the scenario. If I am doing a cu upgrade because the kitchen company I am working for has advised the customer they need an upgrade then I supply a EIC. If its for a landlord who "clearly" is positioning to let the property out I provide EICR and cost the job accordingly. Advising that there could be some remedial work involved post upgrade and advise this involves a cost. This applies to any CU upgrade.

IMO if you do not cover this off your leaving yourself open to a bun fight.
Not everyone who wants a quote for a CU upgrade is prepared to pay for an EICR beforehand.
And I'm not doing one for free in order to quote for a job I might not even get.

After reading a few threads and being fairly new to these forums I've read a few threads where some of the members here would rather use MW over EICs especially when more than a few circuits are modified or altered in a installation.

It seems a little strange to me why someone would suggest doing mutiple MW when you can just do EIC.

if you are doing a small job like a added socket less s88t to put on a sheet like a EIC .
I agree that makes sense but if your working on more than a few. 4 or more circuits then to me it makes more sense to write a EIC and record the Information/results applicable to the work you have carried out.

Last edited:
CU change, submitted EIC but landlord wants eicr too? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to CU change, submitted EIC but landlord wants eicr too? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock