Discuss Curious box enclosing meter, with electronics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone cast some light on a curious meter I came across today.

The old-style meter has a circuit board fitted on top, and the whole lot enclosed with a Perspex cover, with meter seals at each corner to prevent access. See photo below (hopefully).

Meter 3.jpg

What is this for?

I'll try to add a close-up of part of the board in another post.

Here is a close-up of the board, as best I could without accessing the inside.

NB this is a very small house, likely one of the "social" units on a large estate, now a rental property, maybe 30 to 40 years old.Meter 2.jpg

The economy 7 radio switches could have issues switching on and off because of geographical and outside influences. Think they used to rely on a radio4 longwave signal to switch. Could this be a timer control circuit for econ 7? Maybe a relay for econ 7?

The red and black wires appear to power in coming from the incoming side of the meter. Can you see what the other wires connect to (looks like yellow and black to me)?

It is not Economy 7, there is no off-peak supply/usage in the premises.

My thoughts were also relating to anti-tamper and/or meter bypassing, perhaps from a long-gone tenant.

I've no intention of touching it myself (thanks, elsparko), and I've suggested to the landlord that the supplier likely would be delighted to swap it for a smart meter to help meet their targets. Just that I'd like to know something about it.

All the wires appear to go to the meter connections (red/black twisted pair, and yellow/brown twisted pair). I can't see for sure but I'm fairly sure none of the wires leave the Perspex enclosure.

Last edited:
Maybe it is a device to slow down the meter or otherwise interfere with its operation.
Having it visible but sealed in an enclosure to look like it is DNO property is probably a better way of disguising such a device than any attempt to hide it.

DNO operatives and meter readers are taught to look for hidden attempts to bypass the meter, but they might just assume a sealed box is legitimate.

Reply to Curious box enclosing meter, with electronics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net